• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil pan for sb stroker

btceng

Reaction score
Need a recommendation on an oil pan for a small block stroker on a stock K member. 72 Challenger. Not a race car but 4 quarts seems a little small. Using a hv pump. Have a windage tray.

74 challenger

Reaction score
John i would think a stock one would work fine since your using a hv pump and windage tray.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I just ordered a Summit brand stock 4 qt pan for my 360 stroker build. I was going to just use the stock oil pump and pickup tube without a windage tray, am I asking for trouble?
I wasnt sure if using a stock pan would have clearance issues with an aftermarket oil pump/pickup tube and windage tray. Sorry to hi-jack thread!

moparleo

Reaction score
A windage tray is free horsepower and helps keep more oil in the pan. I wonder why you would order an oil pan and then wonder if it was the right decision ? I am with btceng on a higher volume pump and added oil pan capacity. Any improvement you can make on the oiling system is always a plus. It is your engines life blood.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
A windage tray is free horsepower and helps keep more oil in the pan. I wonder why you would order an oil pan and then wonder if it was the right decision ? I am with btceng on a higher volume pump and added oil pan capacity. Any improvement you can make on the oiling system is always a plus. It is your engines life blood.

Just reading the original posters remarks had me second guessing my own choice as long as what I plan on using will work without harm i`ll go with it. With or without a windage tray i`m sure it will pe plenty fast enough for me. Cash is tight for me right now so I am trying to get just what I absolutly need to buy so I can drop in my motor. I do agree with you on oiling system improvements however.

btceng

Reaction score
Moparleo, will that hv pump drain a stock 4 qt pan? I've read that it will at higher rpm. I've also read that there is no need for a hv pump on a normal build. I have also read in the book on small block strokers, that you should only consider a hv pump on a stroker but not a hp pump. There are so many opinions out there.

moparleo

Reaction score
Here is an example. You are putting out a fire. You can use a 1" diameter garden hose, or a 4" diameter fire hose. Both have the same pressure. Which one do you want ? If you increase the volume of the oil pump, it stands to reason that more oil volume is a good thing. A high capacity, baffled pan is the best you can do without spending a lot of money on a dry sump oil system. They build them for a reason, only you know what you are going to do with your car. It is always better to wait and do it right , than be in a hurry and cheap out. The only loser will be you.

390racer

Reaction score
I have done a lot of dyno testing regarding hv pumps and one thing I can definitely tell you is don't put a HV pump into a stock pan regardless of if you are using a windage tray or not.
A hv pump will drain a std oil pan when you go on long cruises .

72barracuda

Reaction score
I am working on a 360/408 stroker just for high performance street use. I went with the hv option to the stock pump at the local parts store. Based on posts that I have seen from people that are racing the stock pump may be ok. Got a Milodon windage tray and stud kit, my stock 340 tray wouldn't fit. I had to pry and squeeze portions of it to get clearance where I needed it. Bought a stock 360 oil pan which seems to have enough clearance, I am using stock pick up tube. Engine not running yet. I am not an expert, just telling you what I am doing. If you plan on high rpm then this may not be the right choice.

72barracuda

Reaction score
That's still the plan, but progress is slow. I contacted Melling about the M-72HV that I am using and they said the pan would not go dry but they didn't give me any numbers on flow rate. I will be keeping one eye on the oil pressure gauge.

Cudafever

Reaction score
Need a recommendation on an oil pan for a small block stroker on a stock K member. 72 Challenger. Not a race car but 4 quarts seems a little small. Using a hv pump. Have a windage tray.

How high do you plan on turning your stroker? if you don't have a high flowing head you won't be turning it much past 5500-5800.

I don't thing you will gain any thing with a windage tray....still a good idea if you have one but the stroker will get in the way and cause you to modify it a little.
Spend the extra Cash to get a baffled pan. all it take is one hard launch and the oil pushed away from the oil pick up, too damage a eng.

btceng

Reaction score
I have the windage tray and we are seeing that some modification will be needed if we go that route. I am probably going with the Kevko pan that has the baffles. Also looked at the Moroso deep pan. I want to be sure that it has plenty of ground clearance because it is a street car.

72barracuda

Reaction score
I am working on a similar project, bought a cheap "new" stock 360 pan and had to return it because it was too warped to use. After reading the posts I decided to get the Kevko pan and pick up tube. The pick up tube has an ear on it, maybe to secure it to the top of the main bolt. This is not compatible with the Milodon windage tray, there is no opening through the side for this. At this point I am wishing I had just bought another stock pan. Now have to figure out if I can use stock pick up or cut the ear off the Kevko tube. I will be talking to Kevko on Monday.

go318chally

Reaction score
I'm running a Miloden 8 quart pan and Melling HV pump on my 318. I have 60 psi oil pressure above 1500 rpm all day long. At high rpms on freeway, 4K+, about 70-80 psi. The oil pan DOES fit with stock K-member. It is an expensive pan, but you always have oil pressure, and don't have to worry about oil slosh in turns or hard braking. The only possible draw back, depending on your final ride hight, the pan hangs about 3/4" below the k-member.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I will be the guy to go against the HV pump . these can empty the pan & starve the crank on a long pull , I would recommend a larger pan with the HV pump but then you reduce ground clearance , on a street engine a stock volume high pressure pump is all you need especially with a stock oil pan

btceng

Reaction score
I will be the guy to go against the HV pump . these can empty the pan & starve the crank on a long pull , I would recommend a larger pan with the HV pump but then you reduce ground clearance , on a street engine a stock volume high pressure pump is all you need especially with a stock oil pan

Thanks for the input from a pro. I thought volume good, but high pressure bad. I would like to use the stock pan but 4 quarts seems small by today's standards. Any ideas on the Moroso pan? Priced better than the Milodon.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-20710/

Back