• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear bumper question?

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello, I own a 1970 Challenger. The original rear bumper has seen better days. I have the opportunity to purchase an original straight rear bumper with decent chrome from a 1972 Challenger. Are there any differences between the two? I do not see any slots on the 1972 bumper for the jack mount. To me the two bumpers look identical. Am I missing anything?

Second question, what's the average price these days for a used original straight 1972 rear bumper. The chrome looks good. Not perfect, minor scratches. I would consider this really good driver quality.

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

Grady Cain

Reaction score
If there are no slots, it's from a 1970 or 1971. 1972 and up have vertical slots in the bumper face for the jack. 1970-71 should have cut-outs for the jack on the lower lip on both sides. Have any photos?

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Thank you Grady Cain. There are no vertical slots on this bumper. It does have the cut-outs for the jack on the lower lip on both sides. This is a separate piece that appears to be mislabeled as a 1972. Sorry I don't have any photos. Any idea what the going price is on used bumpers for this car?

Thanks for your help,

Tirekickertoo

Grady Cain

Reaction score
You can buy new repops for $200-$300. As for a used OEM bumper, I would have no idea on value. The considering factors for me regarding purchase price would be whether or not I was going to have it rechromed. Obviously the added cost of the restoration of the bumper would warrant me trying to get it as cheap as possible. It's all about what it's worth to you and the seller. 1970 bumpers seem to be worth a bit more than 1972-74. Good luck...

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Thank you Grady Cain for all the good information! I'll have to take a closer look at the bumper chrome to determine if it's worth the purchase price. With your advice, I know what to look for and an estimated asking price.

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

Back