• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

reinstalling the factory radio

cowdoc

Reaction score
When I bought my '73 Challenger, it came with a butt-ugly aftermarket stereo. The guy had even cut holes in the rear interior panels for speakers! First thing I did was rip those panels out and replace. Finally, after much searching, I found an e-body AM/FM radio on E-bay. My question is, what is supposed to support the radio under the dash? There's a bracket hanging down, not sure if it was bent out of the way when they put the aftermarket unit in, and it sort of lines up with the nut on the right upper side of the OEM unit. Still, after attaching the existing bracket, there's way to much play in the radio with it in the dash. Is there something else that should be there? Also, I found the old power connector up in the dash and connected that up to the "new" radio. What serves as a ground? The aforementioned bracket? The antenna? I assume the display should be backlit when power is supplied to the unit? Thanks for your help!

cowdoc

Reaction score
Figured it out! Two additional screws in the bottom of the radio, toward the front, and going up through the steel bar which supports the front of the unit. The old power connector was still getting power, and all the speakers work! And looks SOOOOO much better!

cowdoc

Reaction score
Gladly!

IMG_0571_zpsz0jvmmxy.jpg

And the rest of it: a '73 340 auto on the column. 904 tranny, 3.55 gears
IMG_0572_zpsp8yhjqrk.jpg

IMG_0573_zps7ntcml5v.jpg

IMG_0574_zpsaiwyrfcw.jpg

quapman

Reaction score
Love the louvers. Where'd you get them?

fastx

Reaction score
you probably already know but if not make sure the speakers are the right ohms for the radio, 4 I think or it wont last very long that's my understanding. That's why I haven't put a factory radio back in mine im not willing to spend 6 hundred to have one upgraded. nice car u have there

Back