• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Replacement rear bumper guards for my 1974 Cuda

Dodgezilla

Reaction score
I pulled the ugly 5 mph bumper guards off of my car (Looks 100 times better) but now on the rear of the car you can see that ugly hole in the valance on both sides. I saw a set of earlier Cuda rear bumper guards that are just chrome and do not protrude so far out from the bumper. They say they will fit 70-72 Cudas and I am wondering if something like that could be easily made to work on my 74 Cuda? I need something and if these won't work, but someone has a better idea, please let me know.

Thanks KIMG0008.jpg

KIMG0008.jpg

crash520

Reaction score
You can use them, they need a hole drilled into your bumper, from memory just below the other that there.

jeff968

Reaction score
Those rear guards also have an L bracket that comes off the rear and attaches to the frame rails.

Dodgezilla

Reaction score
I still have the 5mph bumpers I took off and maybe I can use some of the parts to make this look like a factory install. That's my hope anyway...

crash520

Reaction score
you may not need them, the earlier bumpers are light compared to the 74 ones. Assess it once you get them

Pacoloco

Reaction score
Please keep us posted I want to do the same thing to mine. Both front and back!

Dodgezilla

Reaction score
I got the bumperettes but can't seem to figure a way to make them work and look good too. Plus I really don't want to try drilling into my new bumper. I don't think I will be using them. What I DID come up with is that I cut the front 1" off of my front rubber 5mph bumpers and they fit right up into the rear valance holes nice and tight. I haven't installed them because even though they seem tight I am sure they will come off driving down the road. Once I finally get them mounted properly I will paint them body color. Should look much better than what is there now. I have already painted them with that adhesion promoter primer...
Pacoloco, you don't need anything up front. Just in the rear....

Pacoloco

Reaction score
Dodgezilla, thanks for the tip. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
I'm a Challenger guy so I don't know for sure that it would work the same way on a Cuda, but a lot of the 72-74 Challenger guys will put a 72 rear bumper & 70-72 bumper brackets and bumper guards on, and remove the filler strips altogether. In the front you still use the original bumper and brackets and just re-drill the holes in the brackets to move the bumper closer to the body, and again lose the filler strips.

Dodgezilla

Reaction score
I thought about that too but I really don't feel like messing with it that much. I know one thing, those filler strips are one of the dumbest things I think I have ever seen on a car. Thanks for the suggestion though. I may do it one day but for now I have too many other things that need doing first.. ;)

Back