• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rust

Clone it

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this board so I hope im posting in the correct place to ask this question. Can anyone tell me what the best way to remove all this roof rust would be?

IMG00449-20130305-0940.jpg

VeteranCosmicRocker

Reaction score
Welcome, and good luck with you project. While there's several ways to do so, if you're doing it yourself, I'd DA it & hope the sander doesn't land on the seat. Keep in mind, the only way do do it right is to remove ALL rust & corrosion... everywhere. If it thins out, you may be in for panel replacement.

Clone it

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will give the DA a try and hope for the best.

Cheers

ramenth

Reaction score
If you have a media blaster near you, give 'em a call and see what they'd charge.

If you're doing it yourself, there's several ways to go about it. Personally, I'd bring out the sandblaster on light pressure and hit it. (To the naysayers, I've done it for years, never warped a panel, and had success.)

Another course, as mentioned, would be the DA, with course grit paper (80 would be my preference) and get as much off as you can. Wear a dust mask. Rust dust will give a nasty head cold.

You can also use an angled die grinder with a purple rust buster on it and work into the bottom of the pits.

After that, hit it with a conversion coating, something like PPG's metal etch, rubbing hard with a red Scotch Brite pad working the conversion coating into the pits. Give a rinse and hit with the DA again, something along the lines of 180 grit.

Use a good primer. Something like a quality epoxy, or, my favorite, PPG's NCP line of primers.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Good advice has been given and welcome to the site from the Motor City! What's your plan for this project?

Bill

Reaction score
Keep in mind that I am a novice but this is what I did last summer. I found an old 80 gallon 5 horse compressor on craigslist of $200.00 on craigslist. When I went to pick it up the guy had a little sand blaster for sale to go with it for $25.00. So that got me rigged up to do sandblasting for $225. I had a lot of surface rust on the ceiling of the interior of my Challenger and I sandblasted it with no problem making sure to keep the nozzle far away from the metal and make multiple quick passes to prevent any warping.

Clone it

Reaction score
Thanks Ramenth. Some great ideas there. I should say, though, that I did purchase a siphon feed sandblaster and some wallnut shells but for reasons unknown it hardly takes off paint let alone rust. I am running the pressures between 90-120 lbs but its just not doing it. Not sure why. Maybe I need to try a different media.

Clone it

Reaction score
Thanks DetMatt1. I'm from Alberta. Yes some great ideas. What a great resource this site is. My plans;well it's a 318 car non numbers matching. It came with a 318 mated to a 904 tranny. I am going to clone it into an RT but not really sure on what route I am going to take on the power plant. i'm thinking of maybe going with the 318 and beefing it up. I saw a great article in Hot Rod magazine on a cheap build that will wake up a 318 to around 400 ponies. I don't really want to go the Big block route. I was also thinking about a 340-6 but those are hard to find these days.

Clone it

Reaction score
Do you have dry storage for it ? And a place to put your parts? Where are you located?

Yes I do have dry storage for it. I just brought the car home a couple weeks ago and need to clean out the extra stall in my garage before putting it in. I have it under a car cover a t the moment to prevent further weathering.

Clone it

Reaction score
Keep in mind that I am a novice but this is what I did last summer. I found an old 80 gallon 5 horse compressor on craigslist of $200.00 on craigslist. When I went to pick it up the guy had a little sand blaster for sale to go with it for $25.00. So that got me rigged up to do sandblasting for $225. I had a lot of surface rust on the ceiling of the interior of my Challenger and I sandblasted it with no problem making sure to keep the nozzle far away from the metal and make multiple quick passes to prevent any warping.

What did you use for media? I was mentioning in my post to Ramenth that I purchased a siphon feed sandblaster and walnut shells and all it really did was take some paint off but wouldn't touch the rust. I have a 20-25 gallon upright compressor that gets 90-120 psi so not sure why its not doing its thing.

ramenth

Reaction score
Thanks Ramenth. Some great ideas there. I should say, though, that I did purchase a siphon feed sandblaster and some wallnut shells but for reasons unknown it hardly takes off paint let alone rust. I am running the pressures between 90-120 lbs but its just not doing it. Not sure why. Maybe I need to try a different media.

Different media. Walnut shells are soft and used for cleaning up machined parts like cams or crankshafts. Try Black Beauty at even lower pressure. You want something with some ass behind it when it hits the metal.

Last edited:

Bill

Reaction score
I was right around 130 psi and used regular fine sandblasting media. We call it black beauty around here. It's pretty abrasive so I took a lot of quick passes and kept the nozzle well away from the metal and it eventually got it pretty clean. It looked pretty bad before I sandblasted it. The inportant thing is that there are no signs of warping. I just went out to my garage and snapped these pictures.
003.jpg004.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Last edited:

Clone it

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am from Alberta canada and so do you know what that media would be called here or what the material is

Back