• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Spot weld cutter recommendation

btceng

Reaction score
What spot wèld cutter do you use? The one that I have tends to walk bad. I think it's a Blair 3/8. It cuts good enough but the holesaw teeth also tend to break often.

Big Jim

Reaction score
If it's a Blair (with a spring loaded pilot) center punch first for the pilot; keep the rpm SLOW, and use lots of cutting oil. (I keep mine under 150 rpm-lasts a long time)
You can get cutting oil at Ace or True-Value hardware, tends to carry off heat better than WD-40.

ramenth

Reaction score
If it's a Blair (with a spring loaded pilot) center punch first for the pilot; keep the rpm SLOW, and use lots of cutting oil. (I keep mine under 150 rpm-lasts a long time)
You can get cutting oil at Ace or True-Value hardware, tends to carry off heat better than WD-40.

Gotta agree. The Blair's have been around for ages and it takes the right touch to use 'em. Got about a half dozen in the tool box along with various good used and new cutter heads.

Been known to use drill bits, too, but that take a bit of practice not to drill through both panels.

Got a few of these in a few different sizes in the drawer, too.

View attachment 5789

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Blair all the way. Not completely indestructable, but by far the best that I have used.
X2 on the cutting oil. I can buy them here right off the shelf at a local paint supply store and I have heard that they carry them on the Mac Tools trucks. Made in Michigan!!!

btceng

Reaction score
Thanks. I have been using wd40 not cutting oil and definelty not that slow. I'll pick up some cutting oil and keep working.
Ramenth, that one that you show there is what I have been thinking of trying. I'm still getting a lot of cut through.

ramenth

Reaction score
Thanks. I have been using wd40 not cutting oil and definelty not that slow. I'll pick up some cutting oil and keep working.
Ramenth, that one that you show there is what I have been thinking of trying. I'm still getting a lot of cut through.

Got mine through the local paint supply store. Made by Blair, too.

btceng

Reaction score
I have found that I am getting better results by not using oil at all. That sounds odd but I'm not getting the walking and the cutter is cutting better at a slower speed. Still haven't gotten the cutting oil though, only the WD40.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I would get some legit cutting oil, WD is not the best substitute. I keep a rattle can cap with a half an inch of thread cutting oil nearby and just dip the cutter in it every few spotwelds.

71droptop

Reaction score
Any body try Eastwood for spot weld cutters. I dont know what they r going for today .
P.S.
I do remember drilling 1/8 pilot holes. To help things go smoothly....

Back