• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Submerged rear axle

Bruce chl70

Reaction score
Unfortunately my 1970 Challenger and I were victims of a flash flood here in Florida. Evidently water got in through the breather hole on top of the axle housing. I did not realize this until it started to make a noise, and then I pumped out and drained the gear oil and put in fresh gear oil, but the noise remained!
My question is: which is more likely to be damaged first (or more severly), the rear axle bearings or the differential itself? I can imagine what happens to the axle bearings if all the grease gets washed out, but what type of damaged is sustained to the differential if the gear oil is thinned by water?
The car has an 8 3/4 housing currently with a 2.76 open end chuck. I have a 3.55 sure grip chuck I can install, but it is not as economical for highway cruising.
I would appreciate hearing from someone who has had this happen, or from an expert on rear axles.

Thanks,
Bruce

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
Just about everything in there is going to be affected by the thinned out grease. The bearings would take the most abuse, but since the ring and pinion need a slight film of oil between the gearset, the Sure Grip unit needs to be run in it everything in there is going to take a beating.
If unsure of the gearset you can always pull the unit and check with gear paste, look for wear, etc. The Sure Grip is going to take a little more careful inspection. The bearings are going to be a must.
Just a quick question since I didn't see it, what kind of noise are you getting? Usually a "rumbling" noise is bearings going out. Sure Grips have a habit of making a high pitched squeal.

Bruce chl70

Reaction score
Thanks Ramenth, the noise is sort of a dragging noise, at first I thought it might be the brakes, but the brakes are not dragging - they're in good shape. And the gearset that was in the water was the 2.76 open end, not the sure grip. I guess I will consider installing the 3.55 sure grip now and repair the 2.76 for future highway use.
I just don't know what to expect as to what will need to repaired or replaced on the 2.76 gearset.

Thanks, any further thoughts?
Bruce

ramenth

Reaction score
Thanks Ramenth, the noise is sort of a dragging noise, at first I thought it might be the brakes, but the brakes are not dragging - they're in good shape. And the gearset that was in the water was the 2.76 open end, not the sure grip. I guess I will consider installing the 3.55 sure grip now and repair the 2.76 for future highway use.
I just don't know what to expect as to what will need to repaired or replaced on the 2.76 gearset.

Thanks, any further thoughts?
Bruce

"Sort of a dragging noise" makes me suspect the pinion bearing went. More than likely took the ring and pinion with it, hence the "dragging" noise. Time for the 3.55s since it would be the easier swap at this time..

Bruce chl70

Reaction score
Thanks Robert,
I will proceed with installing the 3.55. Should I go with the new style "green" rear axle bearings that don't require the end play adjustment as the original style does? I don't have a dial indicator to measure end play. Also, are the original type axle seals used with the green bearings?
Thanks again,
Bruce

Bruce chl70

Reaction score
O.K., With all this info and links I think I can get the job done. I would prefer to stay with the original equipment Mopar axle bearings; are they still available at a Dodge Dealer? Does anyone out there have the p/n?

Thanks,
Bruce

ramenth

Reaction score
Timkens are available through Auto Zone under part #A7LK, but double check that with the store. Seal is available under part #8660S. Again, this is a Timken seal. Can't go wrong with Timkens.

Bruce chl70

Reaction score
Thanks for the p/ns. Looks like I'm set to go as soon as I can move a car out of my garage so I have a place to work on the Challenger - too many projects!
Bruce

ramenth

Reaction score
Thanks for the p/ns. Looks like I'm set to go as soon as I can move a car out of my garage so I have a place to work on the Challenger - too many projects!
Bruce

At least you have some room for 'em. One of mine is at home. Two of 'em sit at a friends house and two others sit at another friend's place. And then I have a man asking about electrical and interior for his 'Vette...

Back