• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Transmission temputure

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Anyone running a tranny temp. gauge and a aftermarket cooler? My question is where did you mount the temp. gauge sending unit?
I have a 383/727 and a aftermarket engine rad that does not have a internal tranny cooler. I have a mopar performance deep tranny pan which has a spot for a temp. gauge sending unit which I use for my gauge. I am not using the factory port on the rear of the tranny housing. I have a derail tranny cooler with fan (using 3/8 line). I recently bought a fan controller and installed the sending unit on the return side of the cooler. My issue is when the temp. gauge reads 180°F (oil in tranny pan) the cooler "in" is 140°F and the cooler "out" is only 111°F which is where my fan controller temp. sensor is.
The fan turns on at 180°, off at 170° At this rate the fan will only come on at 260° (temp. in the pan) which is way too late. Currently I just turn the fan on manually but would like it to work correctly. Any ideas/suggestions? Or did I answer my own question (use the factory port) or do I have a issue with my tranny lines (lines replaced 2 months ago, replaced steel lines with braided lines)

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Just a quick background: I lived outside the city for the last 10 years and the car was mostly highway driven with very limited city driving. The trans temp rarely rose above 170° with 150° Being the average. Now I live in the city and am noticing the higher temp. As a side note - I spend alot of time getting my engine to stay under 180° and don't want similer issues with the tranny.

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Go to www.txchange.com, they have a great chart that shows a lot of info. They are a large transmission Business, also you can google it too, many opinions and facts.

Have nice day
Steve
Azmoparboy

aussiemark

Reaction score
Sounds like the best thing to do would be to mount the sensor in the pan you want it to get the signal from the highest temperature source only problem is the fan will stay on all the time maybe.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I checked out the tranny temp chart and it seems my temp is fine. My coworker suggested using a temp gun on all the sides of the tranny pan just to see if the temp gauge was in a "hot spot". I just don't know why there is such a deference going from the pan to the cooler (40°) as it's only a 5.5ft hose run (mostly along the frame) and my hose is pretty thick. It does seem that putting the sending unit in the pan is the best way. Just wasn't looking forward too drilling another hole for a second sending unit for the fan as my gauge is already mounted in the pan

AUSTA

Reaction score
The other option is to use a Murphy gauge it has a settable switch so the gauge that measures the sump temperature also controls the fan circuit
They are also very accurate.
My cooler is mounted on the front of the radiator so the engine thermos pull the air over the cooler.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I think it will be fine the cooler you have will work better then the one that is in the radiator. I am sure Hemi autos had an external cooler but without a fan so your set up is even better. When you are in traffic and not going to move for a while put the transmission into neutral instead of leaving it in drive I found this helps.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
The other option is to use a Murphy gauge it has a settable switch so the gauge that measures the sump temperature also controls the fan circuit
They are also very accurate.
My cooler is mounted on the front of the radiator so the engine thermos pull the air over the cooler.

I think I'll look at the Murphy gauge. Sounds like a easy install.

I usually put the car in neutral every time I come to a stop. Engine doesn't like idling in gear (800rpm) and i don't really like a 1200rpm idle

Back