• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

tremec TKO600

purple440challenger

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a Tremec TKO600 in a car. If so, how do you like it and have you had any problems. I was about to order mine, but started reseaching it, and found a lot of people are having shifting issues. I have a 70 Challenger with a 440, 3:91 gears are killing me on the highway with my 4 speed. Plus 2nd gear is non-existant from 1-2 shifts.

71cudajoe

Reaction score
I've had great experiences with Tremec's TKO600 transmissions.

I had one in my '69 Camaro, and it was exceptional. I bought the car with the transmission, so I'm not sure if the builder encountered any issues with it early on. However, while I owned the car the transmission was fantastic. I owned a 2006 Corvette convertible at the time, and I won't say the Tremec shifted as smoothly as the transmission in a brand new sports car, but it certainly was much nicer than the old 4-speed transmissions.

I also had a TKO600 in my current car -- a 71 cuda. The Tremec was in the car when I bought it. I had plans for re-restoring the car -- kind of personalizing it to my tastes, but I drove the car for a couple months before I started the process. It was certainly a relief having the 5-speed at that time, because this car had 4:56 gears. You can imagine how tight the car would wind. I'd have to drive the car around my neighborhood in 4th gear. Well, I was able to get the car on the highway at 60mph in 5th gear at comfortable RPMs (I don't know the exact RPMs since my tach wasn't working at the time, but the engine wasn't wrapping up or working hard at 60mph). I thought that was pretty impressive.

I've installed a new TKO600 into the cuda this time around too. This time, though, I've gone with 3:54s in a new Dana 60. I'm looking forward to cruising in it this Spring (maybe even a little this fall). I'm sold on the Tremec 5-speeds.

Last edited:

purple440challenger

Reaction score
thanks guys

Thanks for the reply's. I have ordered the tranny kit from Classic Motorsports group. They said they had it all in stock, but the next day they said its a 2 week wait. So we'll see in 2 weeks. I want a light pedal pressure. The Luk borg and bek is way too hard. I thought about a centerforce clutch. Anyone have any problems with thiers or any other recommendations?

Darter6

Reaction score
I installed 2 of them 8-9 years ago. The early ones didn't like to be power shifted and the first one would grind. The second one just plain wouldn't go in gear if you tried to power shift it. Now I have heard that the later ones are much better. I ran 3.55's in my Duster(372 Stroker) and it didn't like 5th gear below 60 mph.Lugged to much. My 65 B-body(451 stroker) I put in 3.73's and it was much better. Also both had Z-bar linkage for the clutch, I understand hydrolic is much better.

Back