• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73' Cuda With Factory Dual Exhaust (Resonator Mount Location)

got6pak

Reaction score
Hi, my Cuda has it's original dual exhaust and I was under the impression that both of the resonator hangers were mounted to the sheet metal behind the rear seat. Mine has the drivers side mounted to the sheet metal behind the rear seat, however, the passenger side is mounted farther down stream where the exhaust goes over the axle. Anyone ever see this before?

Reaction score
Both hangars should be at the rear of the resonator where the over the axle pipe slides into the resonator. If my memory is correct the hangars are the same side to side. The exhaust only has two mount locations, at the rear of the muffler where the tips mount and at the rear of the resonator.

quapman

Reaction score
Only 70s (and maybe 71s?) had the bracket behind the seat on both sides. The funky hanger above the axle on the right side was the norm after that. The funky hanger was standard on single exhaust cars as well.

Reaction score
I apologize for the incorrect info, in the breakdown supplied by quapman it clearly shows both hangars at the rear of the resonator, and the extra hangar on the over the axle pipe. Sorry I can't say I remember ever seeing one like that, on the Barracudas I've owned. I'm curious as to where it mounts to the body. Ken

moparlee

Reaction score
From a 71 Challenger here you can see the two bracket locations behind the back seat area on each side of the floor hump. The 4 hole area on the driver side is a two piece bracket, one piece behind the back seat and one piece underneath used when the car had dual exhausts. If the car did not have dual exhausts these holes would not be there. The bracket you see on the passenger side (hard to see in this pic) is a one piece bracket welded to the body at the factory for the right had exhaust. These brackets are being reproduced today.

032.JPG

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Is it the same "holes not there" for a 1970 Cuda as well if it was not a dual
Exhaust?

quapman

Reaction score
Here's the hanger on a 73 cuda. The floor section is repro, so that's why the lower bracket is there as well. The upper hanger attaches with 2 1/4-20 bolts to a tab on the shock x-member. I removed it and used the lower 70-style deal.
IMG_9837.JPG

Back