• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 4 door cuda?!?!

ECS

Reaction score
Here are a few more of the alterations that had to be made on the inside door frames and skins. They had to be cut apart and welded back together in order for the E Body panels to line up properly.

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

ECS

Reaction score
The body of the vehicle is pretty much complete and the assembly of the other components will soon follow. Below are a few old pictures of the configuration of the Rear Door(s). The front section or the rear Door was made from the rear section of an E Body Door and the rear part of the Door was made from the front section of an E Body Quarter panel. (I hope that made sense!) The Door Handle opening had to be moved to the rear section of the "weird" assembly for the linkage to work. It also had to be altered for the door locks to work properly.

DSCN0198.jpg

DSCN0201.jpg

DSCN0204.jpg

DSCN0207.jpg

ECS

Reaction score
Below are a few photos that show one aspect of the cutting, reconfiguring, reshaping and welding of the Rear Doors. Notice the top of the Door frame and how straight it originally was. We had to cut the frame at the belt line, remove a two inch tapered strip of horizontal metal, put vertical slits in the top of the frame, re-bend the top section to incorporate a curve and then weld everything back together. The Door skins had to match perfectly with the frames. The rear Doors are made from a "stock" E Body front door skin and a Cuda Quarter panel. The front of the Rear Door is made from the rear section of an E Body Door and the rear part of the Door is made from the front section of an E Body Quarter Panel. The two sections were welded together and then the outer perimeter of the Door skin had to be cut to the shape of the reconstructed Door frame. We (literally) made those custom Door skins from scratch. After the recessed Handles were repositioned, the "stock" B Body lock mechanisms had to be reshaped to fit behind the recessed areas that now hold the new E Body Door handles. That's the work for just one Door! Every aspect of the Body has been a challenge but it looks Factory "original" and is a good looking design!

IMG_2214.jpg

Stock B Body Rear Door

IMG_2217.jpg

Rear Door with metal removed, vertical stress cuts to curve the top frame & welded back together again.

IMG_2220.jpg

Inside view of Rear Door after conversion.

IMG_2223.jpg

Completely "new" fabricated Rear Door Skin.

IMG_2226.jpg

Back side of Rear Door Skin, Handle cutouts re-located - two part sections welded together and reinforcement on top edge custom fit for Door strength.

moparlee

Reaction score
That is a ton of fabrication work! I wouldn't even what to guess how many fab hours you have in this project.

ECS

Reaction score
any updates ....??

I was contacted by Roger Johnson this past weekend. Here was the content of his message:

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your interest in the 4-door 1970 Barracuda I saw at Chrysler's 1969 world headquarters. I worked in Chrysler's mail room so I had access to just about anywhere with this Highland Park complex. The main administration building where Lynn Townsend and even Tom Hoover had their offices had a loading dock, or platform, out back where I often saw a variety of cars setting as I walked by on my daily route. In around November of 1969 I walked past this platform and saw a 1970 4-door Barracuda in red with conventional rally wheels. I have no idea if the car was an actual driver but it looked like it could be from the 80-100 foot distance I watched it from. I actually made a note to get a closer look one day but just never bothered until it was too late. The car sat on this loading dock for about four days and I passed it twice each of those days. After it was moved, I never saw it again. I asked Hoover about the car many years later when I saw him at Road Atlanta during Chrysler's stint in Formula 5000 racing with the Union Oil "Shadow" race car team (powered by a 305 inch version of the 340). Hoover just laughed and said engineering didn't pay much attention to the styling guys back then but he didn't remember it. I thought the car cut a surprisingly nice profile even though I was always a 2-door kind of guy.

Regards,

Roger Johnson

ebody70

Reaction score
This whole project is nothing short of sickening and a complete waste of time , I wonder how much this person wants for this car when its done so i can buy it and crush it . Its an insult to the E body

Racer57

Reaction score
This whole project is nothing short of sickening and a complete waste of time , I wonder how much this person wants for this car when its done so i can buy it and crush it . Its an insult to the E body

Hard to believe this forum has people like you that look down on other peoples projects.

Last edited:

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Thats not cool!!! This is some fantastic work these guys are doing

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
X2 on thats not cool.
ANY projects built with passion (and resources) deserve respect. Even if it is not your cup of tea.
Hell I know someone who has spent upwards of 35-40K on each of his 3 Corvair projects. I respect them all the same but doesn't meen I will want them.

ECS

Reaction score
Thats not cool!!! This is some fantastic work these guys are doing

I appreciate your support but he certainly has the right to his opinion about the project. I respect his view and am sure he is being honest about how he feels. We obviously feel different! (lol)

Below is another article written by Roger Johnson about his employment with Chrysler. What a time it must have been!

http://www.carsandparts.com/Article...=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=#.UzSqT1aDItM.gmail

ECS

Reaction score
Here are some older pictures showing the converted Door Mechanisms. Don't pay much attention to the old nasty appearance of the "mock-up" pieces. They will be replaced with components that look new and Factory fresh.

IMG_2333.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG

IMG_2321.JPG

IMG_2322.JPG

ECS

Reaction score
This is an absolutely fantastic project!

Thanks! The body is complete and turned out great. I was worried we would hit a bump along the way but everything turned out just the way we envisioned it would. Panel gaps and fit look Factory correct.

DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0224.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0240.jpg

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics.
Sorry if you already covered this but. Did you retain the same wheel base?

Back