• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 hemi 426 exhaust manifold gasket replaccement

hemiman

Reaction score
What is the best way to change out exhaust manifold gaskets on a 426 hemicuda? Please only :)respond if you have done this or have seen it done. This is an original engine and exhaust with no modifications.Thanks, Hemiman

hemi426cuda

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't have the original exhaust manifolds but I do have a 71' Cuda that I cloned to a Hemi with TTI headers. I just got it done after 7 years and now after rebuilding the (new) engine twice, yes twice because my 1st attempt to run the engine with a BRAND New HYDRAULIC COMP CAM was a disaster, (13 lifters were ground , that's no lie) It was said that I didn't have the ZDDP additive when I broken in the engine that caused the cam to be grounded. I called 2 of my friends who are the machinist at 2 different speed said that even with the additives they had big problems with COMPS CAM. Just some helpful info if you are thinking of changing your cam. Well as far as your exhaust manifolds, you should be able to get the bolts from the underside of the car. I was surprised how easy it was to remove my headers. Again, I do not have or own stock manifolds but I think it should be the same as the headers. I hope this helps. Just curious, would you send me some pics of your car? Thanks and good luck. tyron
P.S. If you have any other questions please feel free to email me.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have done this before , I have to agree with Tim , start by removing the bolts , it is usually easier to disconnect the pipe from the manifold but really the factory never used a gasket & using one generally causes it to fail , I just use a thin layer of Ultra Copper RTV & bolt it directly onto the head

Back