• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger in paint jail

all original

Reaction score
HI everyone

Sorry that I have not been on for a long while but my 1970 Challenger has it a road block in the paint department! Car was painted but I was not happy
with some of the work, I took to another body shop and there it sits (since March) more commonly known as its in paint jail lol. Maybe im just being to
fussy but if im going though all the work to restore a car I want it done right. Anyway have a couple of pics as it sits know

IMG_0916.jpg

cut down 30.jpg

pictures 010.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

cut down 39.jpg

js29

Reaction score
i see an AMD sign on the wall of the shop. is that ware your panels came from, the fit looks decent from the pictures

all original

Reaction score
All of the outer skin is AMD and yes the fit is pretty good except for the normal small gapping issues. As far as paint problems, mostly small things like little to no paint on the rockers under the doors, missing seam sealer at the back tail panel and if you look closely the dodge lettering on the hood is too low and the studs of the letters are under the inner bracing. Lots of other small things.

all original

Reaction score
HI

The car is finally back in my garage after two different body shops. The car ended up getting a full repaint due to the paint not adhering and coming off in pieces the size of paper. While the car was in the shop I had a chance to get the engine ready

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg

AUSTA

Reaction score
HI

The car is finally back in my garage after two different body shops. The car ended up getting a full repaint due to the paint not adhering and coming off in pieces the size of paper. While the car was in the shop I had a chance to get the engine ready
Looks good doing the same on a TA did you paint body color under the vinyl top or just primer.
I replaced complete outer with AMD had similar experience small issues matching panel curves to chassis rails also used AMD front chassis rails

all original

Reaction score
I also like the color better than the first one. There is only primer under the vinyl top

Last edited:

all original

Reaction score
heads are Edelbrock RPM's and comp cams pro magnum rockers. Also using a Eagle 4.15 stroker kit

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Yes it is darker and I think its a lot closer to plum crazy than the first paint job

On the contrary I think the first version looked more FC7 than the second, maybe the lighting or maybe I don't know my plum crazies but I think it's current paint looks killer.

mmissile

Reaction score
I saw many "high impact" cars when new. All the metallic cars got darker with age[the way most remember them]. All the metallic colors were lighter and more vibrant when new. Paint has come a long way since those days.

all original

Reaction score
thanks guys for the comments, even if it's not same as the original color was im very happy with it and im just glad to have the paint nightmare behind me.

dongei

Reaction score
Your car is awesome. I remember that I went to 4 body shops before I found one that would do my car.Seems like most of them are just part changers and don't or can't do premium work. My guys worked in a back alley and all they did were older cars and trucks. They were fast (only took a month) I could not be happier with their work . 010.jpg

010.jpg

all original

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment. Your car looks like a sweet ride. What size of tires are on your car?

Back