• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Barracuda drivetrain swap target?

elnielsen

Reaction score
Ok, delusions of grandeur are over. I have a 71 Barracuda 318/a904la (failing) with a 7 1/4 rear end I have named peanut. If I wanted a new engine that gets mileage and can still smoke em when desired, trans that has overdrive (want manual but yes difficult...), can make a weekend driver drivable.. not 5mpg.. Are there vehicles to scan Craigslist for where the entire drivetrain (engine/tranny/rear end) is fairly easily swapped in? I have not stiffened the frame, which may be in order, but have done the entire front suspension incl. new torsion bars. No, I ain't puttin' an LS in, but a Cleveland Mopar may be a go!! heading off the bad jokes and clevelands' are not modern. Oh an brakes, master power brakes hasn't newslettered a sale in the 1.5 years I've followed.. My brother seems to think any 5.7L hemi donor will do.

heminut

Reaction score
I think a 5'7 Hemi would be a great swap, but then I AM a little biased! If you want an overdrive tranny put a 518/46RH behind it. It's all pretty much bolt in and everything is out there to do the swap. An 8&3/4 rear would be great but an 8&1/2 rear axle will handle the 5.7 just fine.

70chall440

Reaction score
There are a number of ways to get what you want each with its pros and cons.

In no particular order

1. get a 94 up 2wd Ram pick (gen 2 or 3) with a 5.9 (360 roller motor) and a A518 trans. You will have to probably swap out the oil pan and you will either have to swap out the stock intake for a for something more conventional or find a way to integrate the stock ECU into your car (I know there are people who have done it). You will then have a relatively modern drive train with OD.

2. find an older Mopar that has a drive train that you like (or a take out) and swap that in.

3. pick up a late model charger, Chrysler 300 or ram with a 5.7 Hemi. There are a number of things that you will have to address for this swap (engine mounts, oil pan, exhaust, modify the trans tunnel, engine controller system, etc.) but the net result is worth it IMO.

Outside of a take out drive train (something that was removed from a vintage Mopar, everything is going to require a bit of work, some more than others. The 5.9 (360 magnum) swap is probably the easiest and relatively straight forward swap. Those engines will last a long time if they are maintained.

As to the rearend, I would definitely get rid of that 7 1/4, it is weak and not doing you any favors. You can use an E body or even a B body 8 3/4 in the car.

SFEbody

Reaction score
I agree with the 5.7 I am doing that to a 70 Barracuda as we speak. Have a blog started on here. Be prepared to spend some $$ going this route.

For me, $8700 so Far -Example:

2017 5.7 & 8 Speed auto Trans ( 6K miles) $3200. With all front end accessories, pedal, shifter and all sensors
Hotwire Auto electrical and ECU stuff. $2800
Misc Motor and Trans mounts $ 600
Drive shaft $ 850
TTI Headers $ 700
MILODON Center sump oil pan kit $ 350
Oil Filter relocation kit $ 200

Last edited:

70chall440

Reaction score
What mounts cost $600?

Take a look at the Holley stuff, not that it is cheaper per se but its good to have options.

There is a saying that goes something like this, "cheap is not good and good is not cheap". Sure you can do something "cheaper" but it all depends on what you want in the end. If you just want a driver, keep what you have and improve on it incrementally.

Back