• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

PS box clearance issue

Quiny

Reaction score
I am installing a late model 5.7 in a 73 Cuda. My setup is a QA1 k member, Hooker Blackheart engine mounts, New Hooker Blackheart low profile log exhaust manifolds, Borgeson power steering box, and a SilverSport 4L60E transmission. So far so good until today. The top adjustment screw on the power steering box hits the exhaust manifold by about an 1/8". I could start jacking the motor on that side or clearance the adjusting stud but I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this problem and what they did. My concern is even if i find the clearance that it will hammer the adjusting stud as the motor moves via the motor mounts.
IMG_6015.jpg
IMG_6013.jpg
IMG_6014.jpg

Katfish

Reaction score
How thick are the manifolds, maybe grind that area a little?
I'd have no problem hitting that stud with a grinder.
You could also slot the steering box mount holes and slide it over a little.
Wish I had your problem, I had to ding header and grind a bevel on 1 of the box bolts and still can only slide a piece paper between the 2.
Mine is TTI mounts and TTI shortie headers.

https://postimg.cc/K14MmS4D][/url]

Last edited:

scar426

Reaction score
I am installing a late model 5.7 in a 73 Cuda. My setup is a QA1 k member, Hooker Blackheart engine mounts, New Hooker Blackheart low profile log exhaust manifolds, Borgeson power steering box, and a SilverSport 4L60E transmission. So far so good until today. The top adjustment screw on the power steering box hits the exhaust manifold by about an 1/8". I could start jacking the motor on that side or clearance the adjusting stud but I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this problem and what they did. My concern is even if i find the clearance that it will hammer the adjusting stud as the motor moves via the motor mounts.View attachment 122489View attachment 122490View attachment 122493
Might have the same problem with mine. although I am using the Holley mount system and all is not yet set in place. Could you slot the motor mount plates to raise that side up just a bit to gain some clearance?? Or space out the rubber mount??

Katfish

Reaction score
Another option is adding a 1/4" shim between engine block and the mount.
But this can create other problems. My speedo cable had to go through the cross member, so I couldn't afford rotating the left side of the drive train further up.

Quiny

Reaction score
Might have the same problem with mine. although I am using the Holley mount system and all is not yet set in place. Could you slot the motor mount plates to raise that side up just a bit to gain some clearance?? Or space out the rubber mount??
I am going to try a 1/4" spacer under the motor mount. I am concerned with how it may effect the trany mount. I think I will try and install everything without the steering box and see how it all lines up.

Back