• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ran great yesterday, now it won't start!

EMCD

Reaction score
replaced the coil, rotor, cap, plugs and wires and the car ran 100% better since i finally got it running. went out this morning and pumped the gas peddle 6 times before turning it over and, (i was told this was the way to get the old girl running) and it cranks but will not run or even cough. any ideas?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
First step is to determine if your getting fuel. Do you smell gas? if not pull the air cleaner and look down the carb whike you pump the throttel a couple of times. If your not crank the engine over a few times to see if the fuel pump will refill the carb and try again without the starter, just pump the throttle. Never look down the carb while trying to start these old cars especially if your having difficulty starting them.
Start there and report back.

EMCD

Reaction score
i didn't smell any fuel when i tried to start it. However, i just replaced my fuel pump and cleaned the tank and lines when i first got it started. Could my fuel pump failed already? I only have put 3-500 miles on the car since i got it running...

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Basic question but I have to ask.Did you change the fuel filter could be plugged up?If it fires with a little shot of starting fluid you know you`ve got spark and your problem is with the fuel side of things.

EMCD

Reaction score
yep, i cleaned the lines, replaced the fuel pump and filter. i used a clear fuel filter and looking at it, it doesn't appear to be clogged. I'll try dropping some gas in the carb to see if it starts. is that the best method?

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
You can.but I would just buy starting fluid and give a little 1 - 2 second burst.If you put gas in there a teaspoons worth will do.You`re just looking to see if it fires when you turn it over to narrow down your search for the problem. Also like DetMatt says keep your face outta there!

EMCD

Reaction score
sounds good. I'll give it a try. on another note; what's the best way to set the choke? I was told by my father to push the gas peddle to the floor once and that would engage the choke. is that correct?

burntorange70

Reaction score
If the choke is adjusted right and it is cold enough to need it pushing the gas peddle down once should be enough for it to engage.

This is just a thought but maybe you could of just flooded it. Only time I need to pump the gas peddel is when the car has been setting more than a few days.

Check for fule then if when you got that spark next. Should just be able to pull the air filter off rotate the throttle on the side of the carb with your hand. Should be able to see fule going in to the carb.

EMCD

Reaction score
cool. thanks guys. it was such a bummer when it won't start after how well it ran when i changed out all the plugs, coil, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMCD

Reaction score
I tried the one pump choke method last night to no avail. It's too cold outside to sit around and check the spark and fuel. Hopefully this weekend it will warm up. it's strange how well it ran the day before. it baffles me...

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
We`ve all been there I just changed my starter a month ago and when I turned the key nothing. Confused me for a while turned out it was a bad ground.Since youre still sort of guessing at the problem retrace all the things you did recently double check everything make sure it`s right and maybe you will find the problem.

EMCD

Reaction score
ok. i noticed right before i put the cuda away for the evening that it hesitated when i lightly applied pressure to the accelerator. like it was missing a cylinder or something.

EMCD

Reaction score
alright, i replaced the ballast resistor and it still won't start. i checked all teh plug and coil wires and they seem tight. i know i have fuel, because i could feel and see it when i pumped the carb. so, i'm thinking it has to be the coil, cap, or rotor. What should be my next step? check for spark by removing the plug wire and grounding it to the block to see if anything sparks?

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Yes check for spark if you saw gas squirting in the carb you now know you have fuel going in.Hopefully someone else here with a little more experience troublshooting the electrical end of things can help you with the spark problem.

EMCD

Reaction score
so i finally got it going. i had to pump gas into the carb 4-5 times then it slowly started. when i took it out it shuddered under low speed, especially under light throttle load. it seems like the timing is off, that the best way to explain it. when i pressed on the gas at a light, it felt like it skipped. i checked all the wires, replaced the ballast, made sure the coil was in right and all connected and again this morning it wouldn't start. any ideas

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
Is the car electronic ign. or points? Sounds to me like it has a fuel problem like it's almost flooded? when you start it make sure the throttle plates are fully open (foot to the floor!) see if it makes any difference, my 72 Dart has a crap (IMO) Holley 650 and I have to pump the everliving dogcrap out of it and don't dare touch the gas pedal or it won't start! (I think the accelerator pump is shot) If you go to take off and it stumbles that is the accelerator pump (and mine does that!) If you have spark,fuel and compression (and good airflow into motor and out) IT HAS TO RUN!

EMCD

Reaction score
i believe the car is the 1st year of electronic ignition. the carb is the original thermoquad carb that hasn't been rebuilt.

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
First year of Chrysler electronic ignition was 1972, I would rebuild that carb (if you can find parts!) or better yet if its a driver put a Edelbrock on it, sounds to me like you have a accelerator pump issue from the way you talk about pressing the pedal and "missing/hesitation" common problems with a faulty accelerator pump circuit in the carb. if you can pour a touch of gas down the carb and it starts you can rule out the ignition system altogether, also Chryslers are notorious for ground problems, make sure the ECU is grounded good like metal to metal! same goes for the starter relay and you need to make sure you have a ground strap going from the motor to the firewall as well most had 2 (one by the motor mount to k-frame and back of intake or head to the firewall) or it can play all sorts of tricks!

EMCD

Reaction score
cool. what Edelbrock carb would you recomend? when i pour gas into the carb it will run

Back