• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ran great yesterday, now it won't start!

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
What engine?? small block I would run a 650 electric choke, they are super easy to rebuild (a monkey could do it!) rebuild kits can be bought anywhere, If its a big block I would run a 750 electric choke. Also you might have to re-route your fuel line, I would go ahead and throw a new fuel filter on it and a pump as well (make sure the filter is before the pump!) I can't tell you how many cars I have had that had the filter AFTER the pump and no filter before the pump!!! Also make sure you have plenty of clearance around the fuel line making sure to keep it away from the exhaust manifold/headers to keep from vapor locking in the summer.

EMCD

Reaction score
it's the SB 340. i think the TQ carb is a 700 or 800 cfm carb.

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
For a small block if its a stock motor I would only run a 650 cfm, 800 is too much even on a small block with a mild cam.

EMCD

Reaction score
i broke down and to the cuda to a pro. i finally got it running and limped it down to the local garage. it ran hot all the way down there and almost stalled at every stoplight i came to. I'm not sure what the problem is.

EMCD

Reaction score
i checked the oil and it didn't have any antifreeze in it. at least it didn't seem muddy.

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
You can have a blown head gasket and not get any coolant in the oil if it blows between the steel compression ring between a coolant port, what happens it will pump hot combustion gases into the coolant and it will overheat pretty quick, you won't have any smoke or muddy anti-freeze, I have seen this many times only way to tell is to chemical test the coolant to see if it does have combustion gasses going into the cooling system.(I own a Towing and Automotive repair shop 16 years experience ASE certified, bla, bla, bla, lol):D

Last edited:

EMCD

Reaction score
when i say hot, it stays within the normal range just below the hot line. so, i guess it's running hotter than normal, but not overheating.

EMCD

Reaction score
doing the leak down test next week. they found a vacumn leak and said the carb float sticks and to tap the carb lightly with a small hammer near the fuel line if it starts to run poorly. when i came to pick it up, it ran super. so, i took it out and drove it hard. now it's running super rich and smells like it. it stumbles and hesitates off the line and i'm buying a new carb. the old TQ has had it.

Back