• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear Springs # 3400044

quapman

Reaction score
Tony's spring leaves are only so you can have the correct part numbers. They do nothing to the ride height or quality.

340challconvert

Reaction score
My concern is that when I remove the coil overs, the car will sit lower, basically where it was when I installed them years ago.
General consensus from many posts I read are that the MP springs (now made in Mexico) sag after a year or so.
The options for springs seem to be go with Eaton, ESPO or have the originals re-arched.
+ 1 springs from these vendors run about 500 a set. OUCH

DeMatt- how did the 44's from the hardtop work out on your convertible car specific to the height and rake?
Looking for direction on where to go with my own vert.
Dino2 (1).gif

Steve340

Reaction score
I checked my broadcast sheet and it has 044 in the section for rear springs.
The 3400044 spring number appears to have gone in to many cars.
I think that little leaf on the HD springs is to help limit spring wrap or wheel hop when you accelerate away hard.

Steve340

Reaction score
My concern is that when I remove the coil overs, the car will sit lower, basically where it was when I installed them years ago.
General consensus from many posts I read are that the MP springs (now made in Mexico) sag after a year or so.
The options for springs seem to be go with Eaton, ESPO or have the originals re-arched.

DeMatt- how did the 44's from the hardtop work out on your convertible car specific to the height and rake?
View attachment 35740
I have access to an old school spring maker so I tend to re arch stock springs. If original is what you like only one way to go? Otherwise may be wise to replace them.
All springs will settle a bit and re arched old springs can settle more mainly because the spring steel is already 50 years old. They heat the spring up and recurve it. If they get it too hot during this process the spring steel is ruined and it will not spring back and will bend (sort of) and the car will sag. The success or failure is down to the skill of the spring maker.
I pull the springs apart and check the insulator pad area if this is well worn those leaves are too weakened to re arch. I get an extra 3/4 inch put in the spring to allow for sag over a period of time.
After re arching if the car sags sitting on the flat floor of the garage the spring is toast.

DetMatt1

Reaction score

View attachment 35740
I actually took them up to a spring shop near me to be checked and re-arched. Maybe I should have had them add more height because there was almost no difference between my originals and the replacements. I have 2 words for you...buy new.

AUSTA

Reaction score

View attachment 35740
Just bought a set of +2 from ESPO $260 for the 6 leaf $250 for the 5 leaf
+ Delivery Had a set re arced 2 months ago sat good at first then dropped close to the original arc after hitting a few bumps.

quapman

Reaction score
I'm not sure if we discussed this earlier, but if you get Mopar's XHD replacement springs, you'll be very disappointed. I've had two sets and they both made my Challengers sit like they had full diapers.

Steve340

Reaction score
Maybe try Eaton I saw an advert of theirs were they claim to build springs to factory blueprint specs?
If a factory spring is what you want.
Something I will mention so you perhaps do not make the same mistake I did.
All springs have a rate or strength ie more leaves more strength.
On one of my other cars I went from 4 leaf to 5 leaf springs. The car handled like a roller skate on smooth road but was to stiff for bumpy roads and the car was not " comfortable " to drive on country roads it just bounced.
All I really needed was a decent handling street car and stock springs and Koni shocks gave me that.

Back