• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

That "gasoline" smell - is it normal??

mitchelless

Reaction score
Hello all,

First let me say how happy I am to be here as it means that I am fortunate enough to be the proud new owner of 73 Challenger!! It has been a while since I owned an iconic muscle car and while I understand that the smell of gasoline is part of the allure I don't recall the scent being as strong on my prior classic vehicles. I have done a cursory inspection and see no signs of leakage or moisture in any of the lines but need to get the car up on a lift for a more thorough inspection. In general looking for advice on what may be the issue or if this is simply the smell of MOPAR muscle! Thanks in advance for your advice!

moparleo

Reaction score
Congrats on your new car. Only a couple of areas really. Fuel pump or lines to pump, fuel lines to rear tank. Overflow tube at gas cap area. Smell all the time or just when engine is running ?

mitchelless

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I actually smell it post driving. Was hoping that the garage would not smell like gas this AM but that was not the case. It is not overpowering but still the scent is there.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Under the back seat floor pan is a small tank that the group of hoses go to from the fuel tank. The small tank can go bad and cause your small leak.

js29

Reaction score
if you don't see any thing obvious you could nave what is called a smoke test done on the fuel system. it's a machine that blows artificle smoke and is used to test evape systems butt it also could be modern cars are not vented into the atmispher and older cars are . i nave noticed in my shop when i have an older car in thair i can smell a lite oder of gas. i nope this helps

R4Sedan

Reaction score
Is it raw fuel or fumes? If it's fumes check to makes sure body plugs are in the floor boards also the cowl seal.

72Cuda340

Reaction score
My 72 Cuda reeeeeked of raw gas in the garage and it was the rubber filler grommet where the tube meets the tank. Best wises :)

mitchelless

Reaction score
All, thanks for the feedback. To clarify, I'll use 72Cuda's description. It reeks while parked in my garage. Sounds like the filler grommet may be worth looking at and I'll also check the body plugs. Do I need to drop the tank to replace this?? Sorry for all the q's but I am a noob and I would like to try and do as much of any repair or upgrade to my car as I can myself (without destroying something). Again, thanks for the responses.

moparleo

Reaction score
Before you drop the gas tank, be sure to siphon all of the fuel out before you disconnect anything. We don't want a bunch of fuel running everywhere. If you don't have access to a lift, at least put the car up on jack stands to be safe and have some working room. Oh also get a friend to help.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Is it stronger at the front of the car or rear? How easy is it to start and how well does it run?

Yatzee

Reaction score
You know it's a funny thing how cars with open fuel systems can give off fuel vapors. I use to think I had a leak somewhere and went about isolating it from checking the gas cap to god knows where. After three days it went away - exactly when the bowls on the carburetor went dry. After some research I discovered that today's fuel has methanol a plenty. Fuel today percolates and evaporates as bad as alcohol and can find the smallest openings to come out of. That's why I had repeated cranking to start the car. After sitting for long periods of time the carb bowls were dry. In order to save my starter I had to install an electric pump. Smells still there but the car starts with just one kick.

mitchelless

Reaction score
Gang, thanks for all of the ideas. DetMatt, the car starts easily and runs great and can't tell if worse from front or back as the entire garage smells like a gas station. I did find a metal fuel line about halfway up the car that was just venting openly (line was running parallel to the main fuel line that runs to the pump) so I capped it off. I also replaced a bit of the hose to and from the pump. Looks like the body plugs are in place but they are clearly the originals so may look to get a body plug kit soon. 6Pak, not sure what the little tank is but I did see the hoses out the top of the front of the tank going into a smaller "tank".... The hoses looked good, is that what you were wanting me to check? Again, thanks to everyone, hoping what I have done helps a bit. I'll know in the morning!!!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Yes. Check the hoses and the little tank. The little tanks leak fuel at the seams.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Gang, thanks for all of the ideas. DetMatt, the car starts easily and runs great and can't tell if worse from front or back as the entire garage smells like a gas station. I did find a metal fuel line about halfway up the car that was just venting openly (line was running parallel to the main fuel line that runs to the pump) so I capped it off.
Where did the line you capped off start?

mitchelless

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Sorry for the delay in response, the gas smell is greatly dissipated. DetMatt, the capped line when all the way back to the fuel tank. There is still some smell but I expect that. At some point down the road I'll replace the tank and all the grommets/boot gasket but for now I think I am good. I want to ask yet another question if OK. I think I have a bad fuel sending unit. When I ground the wire to the unit my gauge reads full but when connected it reads empty. I also tried grounding the grounding strap with the wire connected to no avail so I think I will now move to replacing the FSU. Here is the question, do I need to drain the tank to do this and are there any gotcha's that I need to concern myself with? It looks pretty straight forward. I think I will take off the driver side rear tire to give myself more working room but other than that, any expert advice?? Also, per DJ's request, here is a picture!!

Thanks
Mitch

006[1].jpg

006[1].jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
When you remove the sending unit retention ring use a small piece of wood on the ring: not a screwdriver. Screwdrivers make sparks. We don't want one less member on the board. Tap the wood with a hammer and the ring will unscrew.

Back