• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WTB 2 groove big block (440) water pump pulley

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmudgeServices

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
fixin to add vintage Air to my 440 big block (1969 engine in a 1970 challenger).
I need to swap my water pump pulley to a 2 groove AC friendly one.

new ones run $112+ dollars. frankly, I don't need a new one. it's not a show ride so I'm not looking for anything fancy, performant, special, or pretty; just a plain ole boring stock pulley that works at a reasonable price.

thanks!!!

QuickBpBp

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The stock set-up used a single pulley like this. I have the WP pulley for a stiock set-up. Does the vintage air not line up with the original pulley?
1705192337872.png

SmudgeServices

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vintage air does not use an idler pulley.

View attachment 117822

oh snap, thanks for the info/pic! so I should be good with my stock single groove?

I'm on the hunt because of what the vintage Air rep told me on the phone, but based on your setup he's wrong... I don't doubt you at all, the conflict is just a bit confusing. I'm immediately pretty disappointed if they're giving me incorrect instruction right out of the gate.
the 2 groove WP pulley available on most sites is manufactured by V.A. so maybe he's just trying to sell me more..?

what the rep told me was "you need to swap your current 2 groove crank pulley for a 4 Groove one, and then swap the single groove water pump pulley for a 2 groove one that would have come on an AC car." (I have already acquired a 4 Groove crank one to use). he then said, "you'll still only use 2 belts, no third is needed. one belt will be using the 2nd crank pulley groove away from the block and go around the crank, ac compressor, and alternator. the second belt will use the 4th crank pulley groove away from the block and go around crank, power steering, and water pump."

so it immediately made sense to me that if the WP needs to align with the 4th crank groove (and the power steering that is currently on my 2nd crank groove away from the block) then it probably needs to be in the second, additional WP pulley groove.

I attached pics of my current setup

thoughts? looks like you've been through this installation before and you're first hand experience is already enlightening. :)
thanks!

PXL_20240114_213907755.jpg

PXL_20240114_213939891.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back