• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 CUDA FUEL TANK LINES

FJ5 1970 440

Reaction score
Just became the caretaker of a beautiful 70 cuda and it has a few issues that need to be addressed. For now I'm looking at the fuel tank and lines. The tank has a nipple on the right side near the top that is plugged, the left side toward the front has the sending unit with 2 nipples. One supplies the mechanical fuel pump and the other is plugged. It has a vented fuel cap that will only vent the tank if it is in a state of vacuum. So my concerns are, is that the correct tank? Is there supposed to be a vent that relieves tank pressure? And is there anything else I need to know to get this up to a safe good running industry standard. The car isn't original or numbers matching so I fell like I have some wiggle room to fix any issues. Thanks and HI by the way. I'm new here and just got back into cars now that I'm retired, it's been about 35 years. Yea, kinda rusty..........

$_57(3).JPG

Adam

Reaction score
I believe a stock tank will have four nipples on the right side. These go to each corner of the tank, internally. Externally these four nipples are connected to lines that go up inside a venting system inside the trunk, right side. It looks like a fill tube that is capped off. Additionally, a vapor tube probably goes to a three nipple breather on the valve cover (1970 only, I think) or a vapor canister, so the fumes get burned when running. And there might be different set ups for California built cars. The vented cap, for vacuum, is ok, if it is working. Remember, on a Cuda the gashole is behind the license plate and surely gets sloshed with gas every time you accelerate so you don’t want any leaks back there. What issues are you having? Gas smell, stalling, etc. Post a pic of your tank, and trunk.

FJ5 1970 440

Reaction score
I believe a stock tank will have four nipples on the right side. These go to each corner of the tank, internally. Externally these four nipples are connected to lines that go up inside a venting system inside the trunk, right side. It looks like a fill tube that is capped off. Additionally, a vapor tube probably goes to a three nipple breather on the valve cover (1970 only, I think) or a vapor canister, so the fumes get burned when running. And there might be different set ups for California built cars. The vented cap, for vacuum, is ok, if it is working. Remember, on a Cuda the gashole is behind the license plate and surely gets sloshed with gas every time you accelerate so you don’t want any leaks back there. What issues are you having? Gas smell, stalling, etc. Post a pic of your tank, and trunk.
Thanks A. I suspect the tank is a one size fits all E body tank from who knows where. The vented cap works fine and doesn't leak. There's no gas smell. The car runs good except for some hi RPM blubbering but I don't think they're related. There's really nothing to see in the trunk that's fuel related other than the boot that covers the lower part of the fill tube. My biggest concern is internal tank pressure, can it get to high and cause a performance problem or dangerous situation. Thanks again A. And thanks up front everyone................................

Challenge360

Reaction score
The tank, with the four nipples on the side, is for a California car, in 1970. The fender tag would have a code N95, if so equipped. I believe that all 1971 models came with this tank, as well. If your car doesn't have that code on it's fender tag, then a standard tank is what it should have.

Adam

Reaction score
The tank, with the four nipples on the side, is for a California car, in 1970. The fender tag would have a code N95, if so equipped. I believe that all 1971 models came with this tank, as well. If your car doesn't have that code on it's fender tag, then a standard tank is what it should have.
Good info.

Back