• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Barracuda Dash Tag and Title

57fury440

Reaction score
There is a 1971 Barracuda dash tag and title listed for sale on ebay. The V.I.N. shows it to have been a 318 car. Bid to over $300. Does this
mean there will be another shady car showing up in the future? Is it even legal to sell these?

budascuda

Reaction score
Someday, there will be more Cudas than was ever built,😂
And yes it is illegal, but probably not everywhere. Maybe overseas or something.

Adam

Reaction score

If someone affixes a vin to a car that it was not originally assigned to, it is illegal. They run the risk of the car being seized for vin verification. If the inspector finds the secondary vins do not match, or have been removed, they will do one of two things: 1. Remove the dash vin & rivet a big “blue tag” vin tag (determined by the CHP, and not original) to the driver’s door jamb & stamp the tag overlapping onto the painted jamb...ugly. Or option 2. If they cannot establish the original vin, have the car crushed. Since I was a deputy sheriff, and not a CHP, I would have the car crushed. I did this several times, mostly Toyotas, Hondas, a Lexus suv, and a Porsche Turbo Carrera. No Mopars thankfully.

Usually (99.9%) the bad guy wants to get rid of the hot car and sells it to an unsuspecting or gullible buyer, that is the worst because there are two victims, the original owner lost his car and the buyer is out thousands.

So to protect yourself avoid salvaged vehicles, and always look at the dash vin, door tag, and other secondaries to see if they match. If not, or they have been removed, you are asking for big problems.

budascuda

Reaction score
"unsuspecting or gullible"
You forgot "horny" lol
Don't get horny, you always pay for it at he end😳 😂😂😂 🤔

57fury440

Reaction score
If you have a car with no V.I.N. tag all you have is a parts car. With this tag they can put whatever motor in it and call it a "tribute" car. You could have a V.I.N. assigned but it does not look too pretty. Also possible someone could have a stolen car they want to tag. Very shady.

budascuda

Reaction score
Or be tag for sale is stolen! 😂
Who knows......

Back