• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Air filter for 440 challenger

66dartman

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my 1st post here, although I have been over at a bodies only for some time. My buddy has a 71 challenger r/t with a 440 and an eddy performer rpm intake. With that intake, it performs well but air cleaner clearance is minimal. The only thing that fits is the coughdrop foam eddy and it doesn't look or work well at all. Anyone else have this combination, with the twin scoop r/t hood, and if so, what air cleaner are you using? I am looking at the spectre p/n 98628 but don't know if it will work.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. There is a 71 challenger for sale across the street from where I work. It is rough, a 383 non r/t car and the guy is asking 10K. I think a cash offer could get it for less.

GTXperience

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO 66! If he is running a basic Performer, there should be room for a good-sized, functional air cleaner. Otherwise, he may have to look into something with a drop base.

Re: the 71 Chally. Cash usually works wonders when negotiating the price but then again, there are some sellers that think their cars are gold-plated.

ramenth

Reaction score
Re: the 71 Chally. Cash usually works wonders when negotiating the price but then again, there are some sellers that think their cars are gold-plated.

Can't help with the air cleaner question since I can't visualize it. But I will say welcome aboard. And agree with GTX. A lot of times cash in hand will loosen up the asking price and long as the dude doesn't have Barret and Jackson sydrome when it comes to E-bodies.

66dartman

Reaction score
Thanks, I am going to try the spectre. It's a drop base 14" that only is 2.4" above the carb flange. I have 3" clearance, so it should work. As far as the 71 for sale, I think the guy has the "B_J" syndrome, but it has beeen sitting for 3 months now, so maybe that will soften him up.

nqkjw

Reaction score
I've got a 440 with Edelbrock Performer RPM and 750 vac Holley on mine and ran into clearance issues with the rallye hood.
I had one of those black crinkle finish MoparPerformance aircleaners to match the rocker covers but it wouldn't fit.
As a temporary measure I just bought a cheap 2" drop base chrome aircleaner for now.
Right on the same time I encountered this issue I picked up a complete 6pack setup so eventually that'll go on.
That's one way to solve the problem!!!!

71Plym

Reaction score
I used a K&N on my 71 Cuda.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=60-1280
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=66-1401XP

Picture015.jpg

66dartman

Reaction score
I finally adapted the Spectre drop base dual inlet to work, but not without problems.
The base hits the electric choke housing, and instead of the inlets running from side to side(the pass side inlet hit the hood), I ran the inlets front and back. So far so good, but it fought me along the way!

Back