• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anyone else having fitment issues with Auto Custom Carpets ACC?

themechanic

Reaction score
I have installed ACC carpet in 3 vehicles. All have fit terrible. I returned the carpet on 2 of the cars, including my 70 Cuda. The replacement carpet still doesn't fit the shape of the rear floor.

The second carpet set was manufactured by ACC on November 1, 2022. I ordered it with the jute padding loose/not glued.

I tried resting the carpet unrolled in the house overnight, outside on a warm driveway with temperature around 74 F, and a heat gun (recommended by ACC Customer Service). This carpet is just not shaped correctly.

ACC is the only carpet molding company that makes molded carpet for Mopars.

I'm not a perfectionist. But if I go ahead and install it there will be 2 inch air gaps under the carpet in the corners, which, photos can't show, and large wrinkles on the sides.

I guess I'll contact the seller, Stock Interiors, for a return.

P. S. I do not recommend buying carpet from Rock Auto due to the fact you cannot get in touch with them, except via their website, which adds another layer of frustration.

Bstoker87

Reaction score
I just installed that same carpet but for a 4 speed 70 Cuda, the rear section padding was loose as you said so i completely removed it and cut it in sections for the coverage i wanted.

The front section had to have roughly 6 inches taken off the front to fit right and still had to take 3 inches off the front of the rear section to get a decent overlap and not 5-6 inches worth.

All in all, after some trimming, cutting and pulling sections tight to mount seatbelts and seats im fairly happy with it but im sure it could be better.

themechanic

Reaction score
Stock Interiors issued a return authorization but doesn't refund shipping. They will contact their sales rep at ACC to have them check the set with their mold. If it was molded incorrectly, they will issue a refund. If not, they will charge a restocking fee and a refund.

Last edited:

themechanic

Reaction score
ACC customer service this morning said they have about 5 returns for various reasons for Cuda carpet in their database: fitment, no longer needed, etc.

My guess for so few returns is: they sell very few carpet sets for Cudas, some folks get perfect fitment somehow and don't return, folks wait too long to install and miss the return window, and some just can't be bothered how poor it fits or believe the myth it will correct itself in time.

moparroy

Reaction score
I kinda doubt that's the case - there is lots of posts around for people using ACC in e-bodies.
But it may be they don't get all the feedback from distributors.
I bought one for my '74 project and did end up returning the first one through Rockauto - but it was clearly defective - the jute was glued totally wrong and had a big fold in it.
The replacement was fine. This was about a year ago.
Now it does not fit great in the rear floor - but I was not expecting perfection from what I had read. I understand you can heat it with a heat gun and stretch it for better fit. I also figure it will work itself in some with wear.

themechanic

Reaction score
I kinda doubt that's the case - there is lots of posts around for people using ACC in e-bodies.
But it may be they don't get all the feedback from distributors.
I bought one for my '74 project and did end up returning the first one through Rockauto - but it was clearly defective - the jute was glued totally wrong and had a big fold in it.
The replacement was fine. This was about a year ago.
Now it does not fit great in the rear floor - but I was not expecting perfection from what I had read. I understand you can heat it with a heat gun and stretch it for better fit. I also figure it will work itself in some with wear.
They don't get better all by themselves. Heat gun didn't work in my case.

moparroy

Reaction score
They don't get better all by themselves.
True that for sure.
I was pleased with how quickly they ack'd the defect in my first one and shipped a replacement
Sounds like your experience that way has been good
Read somewhere that in fact they are the only manufacturer left though not sure about that.

heminut

Reaction score
I put ACC carpet in my 70 Cuda years ago and it fit fine. I just recently replaced it with a new ACC carpet and it also was a good fit. Since you're dealing with a 70 Cuda, do you have the factory seatbelt anchors that are under the carpet? 70 was the only year they did that. The 70 carpet has a bulge molded in to go over the factory plastic seatbelt retractor covers. I have aftermarket retractable seatbelts so I used the 71-74 carpet in my car both times.

themechanic

Reaction score
I put ACC carpet in my 70 Cuda years ago and it fit fine. I just recently replaced it with a new ACC carpet and it also was a good fit. Since you're dealing with a 70 Cuda, do you have the factory seatbelt anchors that are under the carpet? 70 was the only year they did that. The 70 carpet has a bulge molded in to go over the factory plastic seatbelt retractor covers. I have aftermarket retractable seatbelts so I used the 71-74 carpet in my car both times.
Maybe that's the problem I'm having with the rear. I'll call them tomorrow and see. But the front wasn't cut square on the first set and the jute had 2 inch tall wrinkles glued down to the carpet.

themechanic

Reaction score
The auto carpet is manufactured by a few companies. And there's a few that mold it to fit. But, ACC bought out all the other companies that molded carpet for Mopars.

themechanic

Reaction score
I removed the factory seat belt anchors and plastic covers and ordered aftermarket 3 point shoulder belts for the front bucket seats.

Here's what the factory belts look like.

image.jpg

IMG_20211203_170332839.jpg

themechanic

Reaction score
I didn't get a photo with the factory belts in place under the carpet. But this video shows the big bulge

themechanic

Reaction score
Stock Interiors list 3 different part numbers for 70, 72-73, and 74. You can see the difference between them in the photos on their website.

The carpet goes over the seatbelt retractors in the 1970 Cuda. For 71-74 the retractors bolt on iver the carpet.

So, if you are restoring a 70 Cuda order carpet for the 70. If you don't plan to us the factory seatbelts then order carpet for 71-73.

Last edited:

themechanic

Reaction score
I spoke with ACC this morning about the difference between the 70 carpet and the 71-74 regarding the seatbelt retractors. I asked that they make a note so that when people order carpet for the 1970 Cuda they get the correct carpet based on if they're using factory seatbelts or not.

ACC will add this to their item description and tell their distributors to be aware of the situation.

themechanic

Reaction score
I installed the carpet for a 71-73 yesterday. This one fits well with the exception of the excess material above the transmission hump.

Back