• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Center Console Plastic Type

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Want to clean up and restore my Center Console and want to be careful with any solvents that may damage the plastic.

Anyone know the plastic type? I believe it is Polypropylene, but could be totally off.

moparlee

Reaction score
Yes ABS plastic as pschlosser said. Be careful with any kind of solvent and test them in a place that doesn't show. Hot water and soap is the safest choice.

ctaarman

Reaction score
What is the best glue for repairing the classic break in the thin trim on the top of the console where it borders the shifter?

doubleyellow

Reaction score
What is the best glue for repairing the classic break in the thin trim on the top of the console where it borders the shifter?
The Loctite adhesive system on the left really works on the console plastic, but, the pieces have to mate flush, and, must use the ”activator“ that comes with the adhesive. Of course, clean both surfaces ahead using only mineral spirits or alcohol and clean off with water quickly. You have to act pretty fast cause the adhesive starts to dry fast. You must clamp or try to add weight to ensure the seam is tight for best results.

The JB Kwik 2-part epoxy also bonded extremely well to the console plastic (I ONLY USED IT ON THE HIDDEN AREAS OF THE CONSOLE). I used the Loctite adhesion “activator” to prep the area first.

I eventually want to fix the same spot as you on another console I have. I was planning to first repair the crack with Loctite. After 24 hour cure (clamped or weighted) I was thinking to make the joint robust, I might put a steel wire on the hidden side of the cracked thin area (across the crack, maybe a 2 inch long wire), then fill up the hidden gap with JB Kwik and embed the wire within the JB Kwik. Let it cure for at least 24 hours.

Both adhesives are at Home Depot

Anyway this is what I’ve been trying the last weeks on the console. May be much better adhesives or methods that other members can recommend.

General rule: always test any solvents or adhesives on the hidden areas before using on visible surfaces.

Good luck and let me know how yours goes

IMG_4265.jpeg

ctaarman

Reaction score
Thanks so much. Mine is completely flush. Tried a couple of other ones before without success. I'm familiar and have used JBW but was reluctant to use it for this application. I really like yourr suggestion of the Loctite especially because of the activator. I wasn't familiar with this one. Thanks again and I will try this week.

Back