• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Connecting Rods

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
For a 340 engine:

1: Can I use pressed-in type rods (forging #3418645) with floating wrist pins - no mod's? It looks like the only difference is the wrist pin diameter and I have the stock10.5 compression pistons.

2. The cam thust plate bolts are missing (someone else took it apart). The original plate looks like it had the markings left on it from four bolts. The upper passenger bolt then should have a hole in it for oiling, but the new Mopar kit I purchased from Summit does not have the one special bolt. What should I do? Leave bolt out, get someone to machine a hole in it, or ? Don't like the idea of drilling a small hole in the two plugs from the lifter galley as then it would be pressurized, probably more than a quality double roller timing chain needs.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Cranky

Reaction score
Been awhile but iirc, the rod is bushed and then honed for the clearance, not the pin. I'm not familiar with the small block part #'s but the early (not sure about later ones) 340's came with bushed rods. Also have seen a few truck 318's with them too. And like you say, a quality roller chain lives fine in a mist environment but some extra oil sure won't hurt it. As many small blocks that are out there, seems like someone would have the one with the hole laying around....

Cranky

Reaction score
They will be very thin looking.....but you can see them. If you're not sure, scratch the edge of the bore and see what color it is. You do know that floating pins need some kind of a keeper in the piston bores, right?

Back