• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Correct 318 Air Cleaner Cover

NMexChallenger

Reaction score
Trying to make my 318 more original, I am wondering what the original air cleaner cover looks like. I see tons of pictures on the net for all the big blocks but nothing for my baby 318.

I have seen these examples for sale online:

318 Sample 1.jpg
This is sold by MOPAR as a replacement but again no original images from the past.

I also found this sticker online which I could purchase and just spray paint the air cleaner Hemi orange:
318-2.jpg
I have an aftermarket Air Cleaner cover which would be easy to paint and stick this on.

Just looking to see what would've been used in the past by Dodge / Chrysler.

Thanks for the help!

benguin

Reaction score
Here are some shots from a March 1970, LA build Challenger 318 in "survivor" condition. This air cleaner, the AC, and exhaust manifolds were removed from the car in 1980 and have been in storage since. This car lived in CA and AZ up until that time. These would have come from the factory with 2bbl carbs, not 4bbl.

No sticker or pie plate at all, and the owner I purchased it from had made no mods.
Ben

DSC_3862.JPG

DSC_3863.JPG

DSC_3865.JPG

NMexChallenger

Reaction score
WOW!

What a fantastic example thank you for sharing!

I was wondering, in my 1970 Service Manual it only states 2bbl and I did not find any examples of 4bbl online.

So long story short both of the aftermarket parts above would be "incorrect" although one is a "Mopar" part.

Thank you very much for the help!

benguin

Reaction score
Glad to help. I will say that the Challenger with this 318 was immensely improved by putting a 4bbl carb on a then current Edelbrock LD4B intake with 340 exhaust and a mild cam. Definitely became a much more responsive car.

You could likely keep a semi-factory look with a 4 bbl carb with one of the somewhat similar base 383-440 air cleaners if you'd like.

NMexChallenger

Reaction score
Yeah. I think that's what I am going to do.

My 318 has a pretty throaty cam, EB Performer 650 4bbl, the EB RPM Air Gap intake, full headers and I believe 360 heads. WAYYY more fun now I would hate to restrict the airflow with a snorkel. I will most likely paint my current cleaner lid hemi orange and slap a 318 sticker on it for fun and call it a day.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Thats what my 73 looks like! (Benguins picture)

Back