• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Decal question 71 RT .

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
My 71 rt was black from the factory with the chartreuse stripe kit and I am wondering if it would have had the rt decal on the hood in that color as well as the louvers on the front part of the quarter panels. I don't have the build sheet. The fender tag only. I am wondering if they were an option or if this was normal for all rt cars in 71.

Reaction score
The side scoops are body color.
Unsure about hood Rt color, not all the cars had them, it was an option.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
The side scoops are body color.
Unsure about hood Rt color, not all the cars had them, it was an option.
So, I was watching graveyard cars and they had a 71 rt- sublime and the side stripe kit was black. It also had decals installed on the inside of the side scoops and rt call out on the hood so it got me thinking about my car because I only got the side stripe kit and weather they all had them included or separately ordered.
If an rt car was ordered, it might not have the stripe kit unless it was requested separately? Or if it had the hood decal, that would also be a separate request? I just want to make sure that I know all of the options. Maybe the rt decal would be listed separately on the fender tag.

moparlee

Reaction score
When I ordered my '71 R/T it came with the hood call out letters and the small decals for the side louvers along with the side stripes all in black. Fender tag is V6X which is side stripes in black (X).
An option would have been the large hood black out decal.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Thanks for that info. Would make sense if the car was like red or yellow or green with black stripes. I don't think they would separate the kit as a whole but being a black car has me confused. I think I will see if I can get the rt and side scoops decals in the same color as my stripe kit. That would probably look more complete.

Matt M

Reaction score
If the car had RT on the hood would that not also be on the fender tag?

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Post up a pic or link to the tag when you get a chance, might help us all a bit in figuring things out. You've got an unusual piece with the chartreuse on black. Very cool! Those side scoop decals only came in black originally, it didn't vary with stripe color. I believe they wanted to make the scoops look functional even though they weren't. Not sure if you'll be happy with them in chartreuse but that's entirely up to you. I saw a picture of a black with orange stripes 71 where they put orange decals on the side scoops & it looked fugazy to me.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Post up a pic or link to the tag when you get a chance, might help us all a bit in figuring things out. You've got an unusual piece with the chartreuse on black. Very cool! Those side scoop decals only came in black originally, it didn't vary with stripe color. I believe they wanted to make the scoops look functional even though they weren't. Not sure if you'll be happy with them in chartreuse but that's entirely up to you. I saw a picture of a black with orange stripes 71 where they put orange decals on the side scoops & it looked fugazy to me.
Was thinking the same. I really would have to even look at it before applying them anyhow. It would probably look funky on the scoops. Being black really makes it hard to figure out. Here's the fender tag tho. I had gone thru it once but v6j is the only thing I seen related to the stripe.

Screenshot_20191216-195452.jpg

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Agree. IMHO put the R/T callout on the hood if you like it, color-matched to the side stripe, and leave it off if you don't.

7257518-IMG_1165.jpg

Matt M

Reaction score
Great looking car
Love the Black and Orange

I like the RT on the hood of the 71s. What I do not like is when they put the 70 style hood stripe on and stick the RT in the middle of it.
Thats just me though.

Matt

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Agree. IMHO put the R/T callout on the hood if you like it, color-matched to the side stripe, and leave it off if you don't.

View attachment 100813
I seen this car before and looks like no rt decal on the hood. The only other black car I seen to have the other flourescent stripe kit. Orange and chartreuse we're the only flourescent colors. There may be more tho. Think it's a 440 4 speed. Mine is a 340 4 speed. Birthdate is 1-12-71.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Challenger V6J - Fluorescent Lime

1971 Challenger Tape Stripes.jpg

Last edited:
Back