• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Earlier bumper brackets on a '74?

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I thought someone told me a while back that the earlier bumper brackets would fit a '74, bringing the bumpers closer to the body. Is this true, and if so, which years of brackets should I look for?

pschlosser

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was AFTER 1971 when they added more distance and rubber padding to bumper designs. If may even be 1972. But 71 and earlier brackets may be want you want to search for.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
It was actually for 73 that the bumpers were moved out and the big cushions added. So 70-71-72 would all work.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
The earlier brackets don't bolt right up to the later bumpers so it's best to swap out the brackets and bumpers together. If keeping the slots for the jack is important to you, then it will be later 71 and 72 bumpers you'd want, they will all fit 70-71-72 brackets though.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
The earlier brackets don't bolt right up to the later bumpers so it's best to swap out the brackets and bumpers together. If keeping the slots for the jack is important to you, then it will be later 71 and 72 bumpers you'd want, they will all fit 70-71-72 brackets though.
Thanks for the info. I think I might go the direction of swapping bumpers as well, especially since I don't really like the jack slots anyway.

Back