• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Help - Imported from Canada

vstone48

Reaction score
Hey guys, how's it going? So i'm in a bit of a rut with my 1970 Plumouth Barracuda. I bought my barracuda from some guy off craigslist here in California back in February. The car currently has a Canadian title because the person I bought it from, purchased the car himself off eBay and never registered it (according to him he bought it for the sole purpose of it having a hemi in it, so he kept the motor and is selling the shell). This was the first time we had bought a car without a US title and didn't know that it had a title until we got there (4 hour drive 1 way). When we asked the guy if we were going to have any trouble registering it he said non at all (naive of us, i know).
Fast track to about 2 weeks ago, I finally had time off and went to register the car at the DMV and was told it needed import documentation. I contacted the person I had bought it from and he says he doesn't have any for it. So I started contacting multiple US custom offices and haven't got a straight answer yet. The last office I contacted, the San Francisco Cargo Desk- Air Cargo gave me some information but was very vague. He wasn't too interested in helping. Something about them having to check the vin only after i go to the dealer and get some paperwork, then get the car appraised...etc.
My question is, has anyone here experienced this and gone through the process? If so I would really appreciate your help, or even a starting point. I know there's about to be a lot of work a head of me but I'm not sure where to start. Thank you for your time and I apologize in advance for the wall of text.

quapman

Reaction score
Does the CADMV have a hotline? The main state agency usually has more info than the branch offices. Your insurance agent might be able to help as well.

vstone48

Reaction score
Thanks guys, ill definitely look into those options. As for now i'm a couple weeks from graduating and need to focus on school so ill deal with this when schools out, but I appreciate the help. Thank you.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes and what works. It will help the next guy with the same question.

Back