• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Help me put a flip top gas cap on my Challenger...

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

Got a 1974 Challenger, and would like to put a flip-top cap on it. I know its not correct..its not that kind of car.

What do I need other than the actual flip top cap? I presume there's a different cap that goes on the filler neck?

Are the repop ones any good?

I've got an original, and like the patina it has but the hinge is broken. Anyone repair these things?

Thanks for any help!

Russ

Reaction score
I'm actually going the other way. Have a flip-top fitted and found myself a twist-on cap to replace it, painted body colour to match.

Flip-top caps also utilise a screw-in locking cap.

YearOne sell an aftermarket version: (this is what I have in my '70)

I'm fairly certain they're not 100% in regards to OE Spec, but original versions are fairly hard to come by and very expensive, and judging by your post it's not something that would bother you anyway.

msbaugh

Reaction score
Yeah there are two different kinds of screw on caps that go under the flip top. One was vented and one wasn't. I think one was a California emissions thing. You can find them on eBay that's where I got mine.
-Matt

Last edited:

Big Jim

Reaction score
As far as I know, all you need are the flip cap/trim ring (YearOne) and the small cap- years ago stuck the flip cap on my 74 Rallye.

Back