• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How do you take apart a slap stick to replace lens/chrome

73 Co challenger

Reaction score
Its from a 73 challenger but i can't figure out how it comes apart without breaking. They sell the replacement slap stick lens and chrome. do i have to drill what looks like spot welds around the light housing and cut off the rivets holding it together?

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

budascuda

Reaction score
I know, as insane as it seems, its been done before.
When I ran into this problem, I chose to buy a very clean one from my buddy
50 bucks he charged me! I though It saved me 50 bucks worth of frustration. I only justified the expenses because the replacement had no pitting.
The thing is that after dis-assembly, you might want to screw it back together, which means you have to drill and tap holes in the chrome frame. And because of the thickness or should I says thinness of the piece, drilling any holes to any depth is rather dodgy.. The only up side to it is that you can clean the unit from within easily then on after.
But hang tough, the members will surely have some other tricks up their sleeves.
Best of luck!

73 Co challenger

Reaction score
E
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0290.JPG
Update on the console parts. Found replacements and decided to order them. They came with the solution had the screws already. Recommendation be careful peeling the white paper off the lens it started to pull the glue up too.

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

73 Co challenger

Reaction score
Looks like a very nice reproduction piece. Who did you purchase it from?
I ordered it from restoration parts source. Now it did take forever for them to ship it I had actually put in a claim through PayPal to get my money back then soon after it shipped but both the lens and bezel are very nice. Even the screws matched up to the piece that the light goes in/color indicator perfect.

budascuda

Reaction score
I like it when people can't settle for second best!
Very nice.

Back