• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Looking at a 72 tomorrow

shadango

Reaction score
I am headed out tomorrow to check out a 72 Barracuda....

It was a barn find that had no tranny or engine in it.....bought by a body shop and redone to the point it is at.

It has been recently redone body and undercarriage, stripped and repainted. They told me there is very little bondo in the car and that there was no major damage prior to them getting it. The trunk pan (main pan only) was replaced...they said floor pans look great.

Photos look good so far...had a small concern about a body line in one picture but decided that I have to see in person to see if it is a problem or not.....

Fresh paint that looks nice. Had some relatives local to the car check it out and they confirm it is very nice.

Interior has a console but interior needs redone.....has white/checked cloth buckets interior (front and rear seats match) that has seen better days and a VERY cracked dashpad (blue)...headliner is probably toast too.

There is a 74 engine with 15k on a stock rebuild in the car but it is not hooked up...was told it ran fine when it came out of the donor car, which was recieveing a big block transplant. It needs a radiator, starter and alternator but otherwise is complete, carb to headers to plug wires.

New wheels/tires, new sidemarker lights, new trunk, door and igntion keysets, new vinyl top

No tranny....but a used 73 727 tranny, crossmember and shaft come with it....needs an exhaust too.

It is priced at $9500.....

Here are some pics....

http://s349.photobucket.com/albums/q391/shadango_bucket/72%20green%20cuda/?albumview=slideshow

Did 6 cylinder 72 Barracudas come with the console shifter? I forgot to get a VIN, but I dont really care if it was a 6 car or an 8 car I guess as long as it is right as far as suspension etc...By the looks of the car in the pics, the suspension is if anything stiff in the front.....although the tranny and bumper are not in it. Am I looking at saggy springs due to the mising tranny and front bumper, and radiator and alternator?

These cars didnt come with the 7.25 axle right? So it should have either the 8.25 or the 8.75, yes?

Am I nuts for thinking this could be a good find? Or is this overpriced?

Last edited:

res1vw21

Reaction score
well except for the engine bay being black I would say thats not to bad of a deal. Think about how much paint and body work coast. Actually that might be a little cheap take a magnet and check it carefully. Don't know it looks like a decent deal.

shadango

Reaction score
well except for the engine bay being black I would say thats not to bad of a deal. Think about how much paint and body work coast. Actually that might be a little cheap take a magnet and check it carefully. Don't know it looks like a decent deal.

Ok, cool.

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't way off base here.....I don't know if its an original 8 car or if it has disk brakes.....or even if the interior is original.....but I suppose that doesnt really matter in the end...I can make this what I want.

I guess it boils down to my needing to be able to get over wanting to be able to drive it NOW. LOL :rolleyes:

Truthfully, I had all but abandoned looking for an e body because in the $5-10k range I was finding nothing but cars that needed full restos...as in lots of holes in body etc. So I probably havent investigated e bodies quite as much as I had A and B bodies and their worth.

I know I can get a fully running Duster 340 with just a few body issues for the same money......But like I said,deep down I know I want an e more than anything.....

Yeah, the black engine bay .......yeah, wish it were green too...thats fresh black paint too according to the seller........

That's ok though.....if I do get the car, the plan would be to drive it with the current 318 until I could get to either pulling it and souping it a bit or replacing with a 340. SO I could spray the bay at that time....the important part os that its in presentable shape now I think.

Well, guess its time to crap or get off the pot and go get ready to see the car...LOL

Thanks for the feedback.....

burntorange70

Reaction score
Engine bay needs a little work but should not be to bad to tuch up. Looks nice in the pics. I think it is a good deal. Good luck.

shadango

Reaction score
Engine bay needs a little work but should not be to bad to tuch up. Looks nice in the pics. I think it is a good deal. Good luck.

Well, seems that the planets lined up today for me.....got the car!

VERY nice paint and body....the body is all original...the only new metal in it is the main trunk pan......cant find a dot of rust anywhere. Painted the 2007 version of sublime, with pearl in it. VERY green! LOL

Interior is toast but thats ok.....but the door panels look OK (they were dyed black at one time) and the seat frames seem ok so far.....

Grill is uncracked although it was sprayed with black texture paint....actually looks good to me. Will need a new front bumper ...I have the old one but its really rusted......rear bumper is nice but needs chromed at some point.

Engine is a 318 and "looks" nice.....needs some accesoires like starter, radiator, battery and battery tray, coil...needto install the pulleys and power steering....I am sure there is other stuff........

Haven't gotten the tranny yet....supposed to be a 727.............and the car has an 8 3/4.
toothy12.gif

It DOES have drum front brakes which I will change out at some point...brand new weld rims and tires....it is an original console car.....

I have wanted an old Mopar for as long as I can remember....I love them all .....A , B E....but honestly the E body was at the top of my list......so finally have one!

I hope I can live up to doing the car right and doing it justice.

Now I guess I have to step back, take a breath and come up with a plan for getting it done.....

shadango

Reaction score
Thanks!

Still kind of pinching myself when I walk into the garage and she is sitting there...LOL

shadango

Reaction score
Congrats! That is cool you got it. Put up some more pics so we can check it out.

I have been so busy woth details of getting the car settled in etc I havent taken many....

The wife did though so let me see what she got.....

I know she took a picture of about 5 lbs of mud , rocks and dirt compacted into the cavities of the K member.....Dug it all out of there and luckily no rust or damage...there are a few indications that maybe the car was run off the road or something and ate some mud....nothing major though....a ding/divotin part of the K member, and the mud..

Back