• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

QA1 Rear Shocks

R/T 71

Reaction score
I recently installed QA1 shocks on the back of my '71 Challenger. I believe there is a problem with the length because there is less than 2 inches of compression travel left when installed. The advertised travel is over 8 inches. The car also rides really rough in the back. The QA1 shocks in front are perfect. Anyone else out there facing this? The car is really low in the back (23" from top of wheel well). Looks great, but I am concerned about the rough ride and the low ride in front also. Headers will drag if I'm not careful. Looking for a solution - maybe shorter shocks. Any ideas?

Xcudame

Reaction score
Did you get dual, single, or non adjustable shocks? It may be that you need to adjust them. Do you have instructions for the shocks? If not I can try to send a copy of mine.

R/T 71

Reaction score
They are the non-adjustable units. They are also a PITA to install. Wrong width top and bottom requiring spacers not included with shocks. Just about ready to go to Gas-Adjust.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Part Number TN901? I got mine from Mancini Racing. Just wondering where you got yours. We'll figure this out. Don't throw in the towel yet. :)

Xcudame

Reaction score
TS901 about 15" fully collapsed and about 23.5" fully extended. Did you get the reducers and funky washers?

20230621_160909.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
Since you said the front shocks were fine I didn't ask earlier. You did bleed the new shocks right? If not, the rears are easy to bleed. Put the rear axle on jack stands, remove the lower mount and compress and expand each shock four or five times. It should be (or soon get to be) hard to compress once all the air is out.

R/T 71

Reaction score
Thanks. I did all that, and the shocks are firm, maybe too firm. It's a pretty rough ride.

Xcudame

Reaction score
And you're sure you got TN901 shocks for the rear? What kind of leaf springs are you running? Are the rear springs pretty much parallel to the ground (flat)?

R/T 71

Reaction score
Five leaf springs, probably original with the car. Flat to the ground. TN901 shocks for sure.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Went out and measured my 70 Challenger with XHD (440-6/426 Hemi) leaf springs and KYB shocks. From the floor to the top of the wheel opening is 25" in the rear (24" in front). I wonder if you have some saggy leaf springs that need replacing? Or a bad pair of shocks (it happens). Of course firm shocks and a rough ride is good for me as I like my cars to handle well. Front and rear sway bars, 1.0" torsion bars and 255/60-15s makes my Challenger handle quite well. Old school tires and wheels, I now, but my 71 Barracuda will have 275/45-17s.

R/T 71

Reaction score
I have looked into new springs, but the forum is all over the place regarding effectiveness of new springs. Some say nothing happens with new Mopar Performance springs. Some say it even lowers the car further. Maybe I can find a place to re-arch them. It needs to be up 1.5" more in the rear. Same for the front. That way I can get the necessary travel in the shock. My car has 235/60-15 all around. Basically stock tire diameter. Thanks for the help.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Just get Mopar Performance P4452984 (right) and P4452985 (left) XHD leaf springs. Got them on both my e-bodies and about 50k miles on the Challenger. All the big vendors sale them (i.e. Summit, Jegs, Mancini, etc.).

volunteer

Reaction score
If you adjust the T-bars to level out stance - the camber will change and tires begin to wear more on inside. The lower (wedge style) snubbers will almost touch - should be at least an inch of daylight. Best to check ride height as per manual - then work on rear - as already suggested.

R/T 71

Reaction score
If you adjust the T-bars to level out stance - the camber will change and tires begin to wear more on inside. The lower (wedge style) snubbers will almost touch - should be at least an inch of daylight. Best to check ride height as per manual - then work on rear - as already suggested.
Exactly what I had in mind. Thanks.

Back