• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

S/E Challenger Vinyl Top

R4Sedan

Reaction score
Did anyone happen to take pictures when re-placing there top on there S/E.
I'm looking for how the foam goes over the plug.
I also read that there was some seam sealer between the plug and window?
and then Foil tape. Is this correct? Anybody with knowledge and pictures would sure help.
Thanks.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
I'm about to put a new top on mine. Here are some pics I've saved for reference. I don't believe seam sealer was used originally between plug and window, but I can't see it being a bad idea. There was padding added around the plug to keep it flush with the rest of the roof, and foil tape was used over the screw holes. And originally there was an extra stainless 'keeper' strip to help hold the top down, under the vinyl top trim.

Foil Tape over holes.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

SE Vinyl Top Trim Retainer.jpg

SE Vinyl Top Holes Taped.jpeg

R4Sedan

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures they are great. Do you happen to have any with the foam padding down.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
On the orange car and the sublime car above you can just see remnants of the padding. The only other photos I have saved are these, which is what the padding was supposed to look like, I believe. An open cell padding.

SE Vinyl 4.JPG

SE Vinyl 5.JPG

NixDad

Reaction score
I don't have a picture at the moment, but for mine the whole perimeter gap between the plug and the body was tapped over with aluminum duct wrapping tape.

R4Sedan

Reaction score
I don't have a picture at the moment, but for mine the whole perimeter gap between the plug and the body was tapped over with aluminum duct wrapping tape.
Probably just depended on who was working that day.

R4Sedan

Reaction score
I'm about to put a new top on mine. Here are some pics I've saved for reference. I don't believe seam sealer was used originally between plug and window, but I can't see it being a bad idea. There was padding added around the plug to keep it flush with the rest of the roof, and foil tape was used over the screw holes. And originally there was an extra stainless 'keeper' strip to help hold the top down, under the vinyl top trim.

View attachment 110547

View attachment 110548

View attachment 110549

View attachment 110550

View attachment 110551
Have you done your Top Yet.
It looks like the padding runs across the side and top seems and not the Bottom, due to the trim. any thoughts.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
No I haven't yet, should be in the next few weeks. Not sure but I'm thinking the whole fiberglass plug should get covered with the foam, so that it's all at the same level.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Here’s a YouTube of Graveyard Carz with Dave Rea talking/installing a SE back window plug.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Here’s some pictures, I don’t know if it says anything about the installation.

IMG_5729.jpeg
IMG_5730.jpeg

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
The top has been done for a while now, I forgot to come back and update this thread - here are a few pics. My installer used the foil tape over the screw holes and then the 1/8" landau top foam to make the plug level with the metal roof structure. Sanded it to blend. Then the top went on like any other.

IMG 4624.jpg

IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

Last edited:

sixpactogo

Reaction score
I had my top installed by a local upholstery shop. I have no idea what they used on the plug but it looked great. I guess I could quiz him if you don't get it figured out.

Home from the upholstery shop.JPG

Back