• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Seat won't go back as far as it used to...

70rag

Reaction score
history...I owned this car, 1970 challenger convertible, from 1979 to 1990. I bought it back summer of 2020 and it was partially restored. SO now I'm putting it back together. I had the interior done by the same company that does a lot of work for Graveyard cars, so needless to say very familiar with these cars. It now has white leather and black carpet etc.
The problem is the seat rails which are new, do not allow the seats to go back nearly as far as they used to. I remember not even being able to reach the pedals if the seat was all the way back. He said there are not other options to mount in different holes. I am not sure where the rails came from.
Has anyone else ran into this problem?

70chall440

Reaction score
I ran into a somewhat similar issue on my Cuda when I bought a new seat rail for the passenger side. When I was mocking up the seat I noticed that the rail didn't move all the much, it turned out that one of the locks was bit too long and was catching Another thing I have seen is the top slider hitting one of the rear mounting bolt if they have been replaced with a bolt.

Take the seat out, remove the retractor spring so you can move the slider by hand and see what is what.

70rag

Reaction score
I ran into a somewhat similar issue on my Cuda when I bought a new seat rail for the passenger side. When I was mocking up the seat I noticed that the rail didn't move all the much, it turned out that one of the locks was bit too long and was catching Another thing I have seen is the top slider hitting one of the rear mounting bolt if they have been replaced with a bolt.

Take the seat out, remove the retractor spring so you can move the slider by hand and see what is what.
You were right, the front left bolt attaching the rail to the seat was too thick/tall and dragging on the rail hardware... THANKS!

Back