• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Small Block 360 LA Engine Vibration at 2500k ... SOLVED (follow up post)

Not Jonathan

Reaction score
Hello all,

A long while ago I posted about a vibration issue I was having and received a lot of helpful suggestions.

I finally have solved the problem and wanted to share with pictures. TLDR: Previous owner surfaced the flywheel too many times, therefore the external balance was incorrect.

A brief recap of the issue: The car vibrated at most RPMs, but violently at 2500. In fifth gear in the 2000-2600 range, it felt like damage would occur if sustained. Previous owner did a keisler TKO swap. I'm not sure what the history of the engine or flywheel is, but you can see the balance hole peeking through due to over-surfacing. I don't know why this would ever be assembled, maybe there was a thin skin of metal that wore off after assembly.
IMG-0132.jpgIMG-0133.jpg

To solve the balance issue, I went with a Fidanza flywheel for a SBM. The included weight is for the LA engine (I called to verify). I recommend using a flywheel with external weights if you keep the external balance. I think McCleod makes a steel flywheel with external weights if aluminum isn't for you. This way, if you surface the flywheel, your balance is completely unaffected.

A remark about the aluminum flywheel, it drives great. No difficulties driving or chattering using a full-face street style clutch. See pics.
IMG-0193.jpgIMG-0196.jpg

Thank you to everyone who offered help back then, hopefully this experience can help someone diagnose their issue. See pics!

Back