• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

transmission hunt

booyaballer

Reaction score
I have a 70 Challenger with a 360 six pack crate engine. originally, it was a column shift car (based on my steering column) which was converted to a floor shifting automatic with a 727 tranny. I plan to convert it to a manual transmission but don't know what transmission I should consider. I'm open to any tranny whether a 4, 5 or 6 speed. my only concern is avoiding making big modifications to fit the tranny. I want to avoid cutting the floor if possible. Thoughts?

Adam

Reaction score
I used a Tremec 5 SPD. I did not have to cut the tunnel, but my car was a 4 SPD car... An auto tunnel may be narrower...

jimbyr

Reaction score
I want to avoid cutting the floor if possible. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

You pretty much have to weld in a 4 speed tunnel to change over. The shifter boot mounts to it and you need the clearance for the shifter rods if you go with a factory 4 speed. If you go with the Tremec 5 or 6 speed you should still do the tunnel so you can mount the shifter boot in the correct place. The Tremec has no rods outside the tranny to worry about. The Tremec 5 speed is real nice with a hydraulic clutch, that's the way I went. Silver Sport and others sell complete kits for the conversion.

Jim

EV2-70

Reaction score
Are you interested in a "70" floor shift steering column? I have one that I was going to list for $150.00 plus the ride from WI.

Back