• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Cuda - New Go Mango

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Cuda Hunter - nope, it was in very rough shape when I purchased it and I was lucky to have a data plate. Yes, I thought it was cool too, very simple car (but costly).

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Good morning everyone, just thought I would post a quick update. Progress has been slow, but we are creeping along, been a busy summer. Daughter off to college, change in job location and promotion, finish up a Masters program and life. Summer was hell not having a hot-rod to take some therapy out on the road for some driving.

Progress: Bumpers chromed and and all brackets found and coated, this was costly, but worth it. Seems I have now more headlamp buckets, bumper brackets and marker lights than needed, will be doing a Ebay posting soon to clean out the spare crap.

K frame is on the ground right now, I am building a cradle to put whole K-member group on to roll around. This will allow to test and modify before install, this should be completed this week or next. I believe I am in engine jail hell with my builder. He has been doing a 451 for me for the past few years. Has been a rush until recently and copped an attitude, so I looked at a few different option.

1. Bought a 383 from a friend. Date code is 5/23/68, engine had been rebuilt but sitting and was complete iron factory. after cleaning it up and replacing valve seals, looks nice and will work as a mock up and basic runner if need be.

2. Started on my 470 short block - seems I have been collecting parts, so it was easy to just finally machine and assemble. I am thinking ported Stealths, oil mods, roller cam and basic intake. Target is a streetable 550 HP

3. Just finish my 451 - Ported Victors, Erson roller, gear drive, Indy intake, T&D's. Power guess's are about 650ish - a bit much, but we need to finish and close the deal down, I am tired.

Project has always been focused on using EFI. Start was with Megasquirt III, however I am going to MegaSquirt pro. I will will be running a coil on plug with some other mods, but we are going to go slow on this. 451 builder is drilling the bungs and rails, but will will firing it up under a 950 Holley, with MSD.

At this time I have done nothing with the rear end. I guess plans are to work with Cass and buy a Dana 60, 430's Sure-Trac, with disc's, off-sets and the whole shibang when ready. The little 8 3/4 will allow me to drive and test until I am ready.

I will post some pictures soon.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well progress seems little to none existent. The engine builder finished the 451 and we ended up dynoing it. Did well for break in and a few of the runs. On the final run, we took it too 7,200 and ended up breaking a rocker arm. Later we discovered a 2 inch crack in the #3. Well it is being rebuilt at this time, but a bit tired of waiting for builder, so decided to start on a 470. With winter, things are a bit slow. Also, job has me working out of town during the week and usually home on the weekends.

Here is a link to the dyno session:

Cazbah362

Reaction score
OK, made a little progress today. 470 is moving along, need to send off to 440 Source for some parts, bead blast the Torker II, size and order the push rods from Manton, make plug wires and get my flywheel and install my clutch and transmission. Easy-peazy, friends came by last night and partially wrapped in the AAR spoiler and fixed a couple other small items. Ordering some mat black in stripping and then blend the AAR with the 3M carbon fiber wrap. Should look pretty slick. Here are some photos.

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1228(1).JPG

OZY71CUD

Reaction score
Keep at it mate, it is going to be great.
Orange Barracuda's are #1

Cazbah362

Reaction score
More progress - Got the TKO all bolted up, Wilwoods on, plug wires completed and a lot of the little stuff. need to order lifters on Monday, Jegs parts run also. Bought a Denso kit from 440 Source, should be here for next weekends events. Need to finish running fuel lines and system, check some brake lines and I believe I can slide err under there.

Next is dash - just need to do it.

IMG_1229.JPG

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Well made a little bit of progress on the Cuda. Went to MATS last week, not overly impressed, but did grab a few things. Progress has been slow, lots of work, travel and family. Well progress is we slid the engine and transmission under the car, pretty straightforward with an engine cradle. The TKO lined up perfectly in the factory 4 speed hole, thanks Silver Sport. I have hit a bit of a wall, thoughts of selling or trading are hitting my brain, so....

Here are some pictures

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Man the progress looks great, nice work! What makes you think of letting it go? It's project status?

Cazbah362

Reaction score
DetMatt - Good question, one I am struggling with. Kind of project status and the other is desire to drive. Summer is coming up quick and I have the itch to drive it. I have been plodding along for about 3 years and have missed my desired deadline of having it on the road. Can I do it by August - Yes (My deadline). We have a week long event in the area called Hot August Nights, great for era correct muscle cars and lots of fun. Also time, work has taken me out of town for about a year, so that impacts as well. I do love the car, so really it all beats up in my head.

I had a driver and sold it, never should have. This will be a driver once I am done. One of the big hiccups in this project was the motor - MAN my machinist is a PITA, happy I went to someone else for the 470. But really any B\RB motor would have worked. Maybe I just need to take my SRT8 out for some therapy.

Thanks for the therapy session -

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Lol! What did I do?
I think you'd regret not staying your course and seeing this one through.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Well - made a little bit of progress. Front end in and generally buttoned up, some small items completed. Cotter pins, grease, and a once over. Now its off to the systems. Going to work on the fuel, brakes and and power (battery). Car is off stands for the time being and can roll on its own. Also, purchased my MS 3 Pro, this will be nice I can start "plugging" things in. Here is a couple update photos:

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Completed a few more things this weekend, seems we are moving along. Ran power to the starter relay, fuel pump and ignition system. Tested all these out and they work as advertised. Also ran all the fuel lines and tested them, love the smell of fuel in the garage! Had to fix a leak or two, but fuel to the bowls, so this is done. Pulled the dash pad from the frame, remove the VIN and preped it for shipping to Just-Dashes. Also, installed temp and oil pressure gauges, they will go into a custom dash frame.

So here is the plan for next weekend: purchase oil, prime, charge battery, set/check all the timing for pre-fire and - BOOM, fire her up. Since the dash will be off and away, I will work on the gauge cluster, dash frame and steering column.

What I did learn was not wire tie things together until the end. Wasted lots of them, but helped shape and find better "wiring routes" for many of the systems. Also, when something is hot, usually means a ground is needed somewhere. Here are some photos

File_001.jpeg

File_000.jpeg

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Progress is being made! Had the objective of getting the 470 through its fire-up, and succeed in meeting that objective. Primed it and found I had about 80 lbs pressure through the little hand drill. Rolled it over a few times while priming, then went to start it. Well first hiccup ensued, starter is/was fried. Brand new one we bought at MATS - hmmm. Well added an extra ground, pulled header and removed and replaced with rebuilt Napa version. Part deux, cranked and vrooom!

Here is a video:

Cazbah362

Reaction score
WingCar - Thank you!

So more progress and are making our way to almost driving it. Since I went with a high-HP fuel pump from Tanks-Inc, my fuel pressure was WAY out of control. To fix this, I had to run two regulators, and also decided to upgrade fuel lines to braided AN-8 all around. This looks real clean and allowed the fuel pressure to be in control or from about 110 psi to 6. A

Also, installed a Denso alternator, wired it and checked that it works. Its did, great upgrade for anyone who wants an easy installed system. Right now the dash is off at Dash-Plus for rebuilding, and I will be ordering a heater core and some padding from Rock and YearOne. Once the dash arrives, should be able to drop it in and drive it.

Also, bled the brakes, clutch and set the timing, here is a video of it idling with open headers.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Received the dash pad back from Just Dashes - Wow, nice work - expensive, but again very nice work. I had the frame, box and ashtray powder coated as well. Will start assembling this week or next..

File_000(2).jpeg

File_001(1).jpeg

Last edited:

Cazbah362

Reaction score
I was reading through the threads, noticing some changes and updates.

Well, I have bled all the brakes and clutch. While doing this, I noted the master kept leaking around one of the fittings. Come to find out the aluminum had a small crack and was never going to seal. Purchased a new Wilwood master, installed and now no issues.

Also, I spoke of using dual fuel regulators. Real issue was a kinked return line. With the high pressure pump, it was literately popping regulators. After a little research, I found a small kink right next to the pickup/return line. After fixing that, adding more -8's and better aligning the fuel lines, down to one regulator at about 7.5 lbs. Much better.

Put on full 3" TTI exhaust with an H pipe, very nice

I spoke of the Denso alternator - now that is a cool system. Prior to installation, I was just charging the battery. Once I put the alternator on, it immediately started charging the system. Note, I have very rudimentary wiring at this time, so pretty cool it worked right away.

As for wiring, like I said dash has returned. I sent the dash off in mid May and it returned August, that was a four month delay I did not anticipate, and $1,500 total (shipping, chrome "Barracuda" and new speaker screen). Also, during this time I had all the dash part powder coated and ordered a solid state gauge regulator. I was going to use new Autometer gauges, but old ones are perfect and well I am a cheap @$$. No, just trying to stay on budget and drive it, these can be done later along with fuel injection.

So with the new dash et-al, I will be using the factory wiring harness. Before installing, I am going through, checking and testing. Noticed some age, cracks and some "hill-billy" splicing which will be corrected, nothing bad, just age and experience. This dash is the next large focus.

Also, rebuilt the heater box, core etc. Nothing concourse, but nice. New heater core, seals and a little Krylon. Again not perfect, but original and all there in working condition.

Interior - Well, I pulled down all the panels, all of which are in fair shape. Re-colored (dyed) them and they look really good - the black pops on them. Will need clips, seals and window rails, but really nice. The 70's and 80's where good to them, someone cut speaker holes in the doors - lucky me. (that's sarcasm). Will have to be creative, find some new speaker covers or something.

Steering wheel and column are great shape as well. Once the dash is in that will go in as well.

Thanks for the therapy -

fk5aar

Reaction score
Did you ever debate putting in the rallye dash?

Back