• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Challenger Seat Belt Question

Sparkey

Reaction score
I have a 73 Challenger base that only has lap belts. A friend just told me Massachusetts has a new law that says what ever safety equipment the car had on day one must be in the car today at inspection time.
The front lap belts have a button on the male clip that I assume was probably for a shoulder belt. Can someone tell me if my car should have 2 point belts or 3 point belts? There are no holes in my headline that would indicate there ever was a shoulder belt so I don't know if the lap belt is wrong for my car or if the shoulder portion is missing.
If I must fix / replace the belts I might as well get it done before I waste my time at the inspection station simply to get a rejection sticker.
DSC01277.JPG
DSC01278.JPG
DSC01279.JPG
get a reject sticker.

moparleo

Reaction score
They all came with 3 point belts. Some one has replaced the headliner and did not reinstall the shoulder belts. You will need the anchor bolts and the belt holder clips for the front/side excess belt. These parts are available new from most major restoration parts houses such as Classic Industries, Year One and others. I would want them even if they didn't come with them. They make it much safer for you especially since the old cars didn't come with airbags.

Sparkey

Reaction score
They all came with 3 point belts. Some one has replaced the headliner and did not reinstall the shoulder belts. You will need the anchor bolts and the belt holder clips for the front/side excess belt. These parts are available new from most major restoration parts houses such as Classic Industries, Year One and others. I would want them even if they didn't come with them. They make it much safer for you especially since the old cars didn't come with airbags.
Great. Thank you. I'll see what I can find. I just checked out the back seat this afternoon and that is missing the middle belt so I should probably just order up a full set.

gzig5

Reaction score
I've got the black shoulder belts from my 73 Cuda available if you are interested. I would think they were the same. I just installed aftermarket three point belts because the lap belts were missing.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
See the seats section below. It is probably what they will look for at inspection. S means standard and E means extra cost.
73_Challenger0014.jpg

Back