• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Reverse Lock steering column problem

Lime Lite 70

Reaction score
Having trouble with a steering column reverse lock lever. Is any way to free it up so it will move again? Its was on blocks for 36 years and it froze up, and I'd like to try to get it to work again. I would like any ideas that may help.

aussiemark

Reaction score
You will probably need to remove the column from the car and disassemble it to see what's wrong. Google cuda cody he has some good Youtube clips about how to do it.

RJHJR

Reaction score
You can probably do it with the column in the car.
Watch Cuda Cody's you tube on columns.
Pull the steering wheel and its on a few screws deep.
I used Eastwoods' fast etch to clean the rust off when rebuilding two last winter. Be careful with the spring.
A little lithium grease will keep it from seizing ever again,

Lime Lite 70

Reaction score
You can probably do it with the column in the car.
Watch Cuda Cody's you tube on columns.
Pull the steering wheel and its on a few screws deep.
I used Eastwoods' fast etch to clean the rust off when rebuilding two last winter. Be careful with the spring.
A little lithium grease will keep it from seizing ever again,

Lime Lite 70

Reaction score
Thank You If I can take it apart with out pulling the column that will be great. I've replaced the signal switch a few times. This sounds like it shouldn't be to bad. I'll let you know how it comes out thanks again.

Rich G.

Reaction score
I’m assuming it’s a 4 speed? Try disconnecting the linkage under the car and see if it’s binding there . Once disconnected you can try to move the column by hand.?

Lime Lite 70

Reaction score
Yes it's a 4 speed, I should have worked on when I had the engine out. Also the whole interior what is a few more parts at that point. I just hooked up thinking it would work, I'll unhook it again and give it a try. Thank You for your info.

Lime Lite 70

Reaction score
I disconnected the reverse lock from the steering column and moved the lever on the column and was stuck but not to bad. It moves freely now and reconnected the trans rod and shifted into reverse it went in and out like it should, but when it came to turning the key to off the key stopped before the last step and did not lock the wheel and could not remove the key. I disconnected the trans rod and moved the lever by hand back to the original spot and the key came out of the switch and locked the wheel. I may have to think on this one for a while. Thank You

aussiemark

Reaction score
At least it wasn't rusted solid, that's why I suggested removing the column I was expecting the worst. It may just need the linkage to be adjusted but I am unsure how the 4 speed one works.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Well thats a good thing. At least you know it works. I would disconnect the linkage underneath, lock the steering wheel and take the key out.Put shifter in reverse. Then go underneath and connect the linkage. There is one sliding adjustment on one of the arms. Make sure there is no slop in the linkage. I think there is only one bushing at the bottom of the column we’re the rod hooks up.

Lime Lite 70

Reaction score
Thank You and yes there is one bushing. I do as you say and get it hooked up. That is almost the last piece to my puzzle. It has been 30 days after getting it back from paint it is all together except the hood, exhaust and rear valance will be done tomorrow and ready for a shake down run. Thanks again

Lime Lite 70

Reaction score
Hi Rich G. Steering lever has a sweet spot at 4:00 with the trans and steering in lock position, It unlocked both One time. I tried again Shifted in to reverse and lock the column, unlocked the column shifted into first and back into reverse and column lock turned the key off and it stopped one step from full off. The column lever was at about 3:30 location. I disconnected and reconnected it three times and the same thing happened. I didn't try to move the slide adjuster that may be my next step Thanks for your help.

Back