• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

R/T Hood pins

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to ask if anyone knows how or if, the factory installed the hood pins which were optional on the R/T cars and Cudas etc.

Were they done at the factory or at the dealership? It would be quite feasible for them to be added at the dealership.

Or were they done manually at the factory before painting? As there are quite a few holes to drill, one in each fender (horizontal section next to upper radiator support) and ten holes in the hood itself. (5 x 2) along with the small screw holes for the cable anchor, also on the fender sections.

My 71 Challenger (not R/T) was however, bought with an R/T hood and the post holes and plates already there, but the upright posts were not installed in the fender sections, as this car would have had a standard hood.

I was just wondering out of curiosity, how they put these on. Thanks!

71 challenger RT factory hood pins.jpg

71 challenger RT factory hood pin.jpg

Reaction score
They were done at the factory and before painting. The large holes for the pins were stamped in the hood. I don’t know where the pins mount to the fender on a challenger. They might just remove a bolt and install them there. 1970 RR and GTX did that. Cuda had an extra bracket to mount the pins. Challenger didn’t need to do that.

so you can look at your car and easily see where the pins need to be to line up with the hood holes.

They were available as an option on Barracuda’s and challengers, not just the performance cars. 318 383 2bbl cars could have them.

They were only standard equipment on shaker hoods and TA and AAR.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I believe all 70-71 Challenger fenders came with the holes for the pins. The hood pins were coded on the fender tags from the factory if ordered (J45) Cudas of course had the extra plate that attached to the fender for the pins.

This is the hole in the fender that the pins are mounted.

View attachment 74086

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my original, early 70 Challenger fender; I added the pins. Fender hole was there; had to drill the hood. And a pic of an NOS Challenger fender I bought in 1980.

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

/sixchall

Reaction score
I own a very early LA built base model ‘70 Challenger. I noticed that the drivers side fender was drilled for a hood pin and a hole for the pin lanyard. The passenger side was not drilled as such. I ended up finding a flat hood car with factory pins and bezels and no pins or lanyards here in town and bought everything from that car for one dollar. Shortly after I purchased a power bulge hood so I already had the pins in place. The pic (not my car) I posted shows a flat hood with hood pins in place. So if they were ordered the factory installed.

375DF774-DEA5-450E-A6AF-0FB963271E8F.png

70Hardtop

Reaction score
I own a very early LA built base model ‘70 Challenger. I noticed that the drivers side fender was drilled for a hood pin and a hole for the pin lanyard. The passenger side was not drilled as such. I ended up finding a flat hood car with factory pins and bezels and no pins or lanyards here in town and bought everything from that car for one dollar. Shortly after I purchased a power bulge hood so I already had the pins in place. The pic (not my car) I posted shows a flat hood with hood pins in place. So if they were ordered the factory installed.

View attachment 74092
Hi All, Thanks for the replies and I really appreciate all that info and the pics! /Sixchall that was an amazing find to get that stuff for just one buck. Thnx for the photos RapidFire and 340Chall Convert. 413 says the pinned hoods were stamped, so I assume they would have had a special jig at the factory to get them in the exact place L and R.

Not so with mine! :(- sad to say, that after just having a look now, and taking out my verniers, I can see that some stupid ape has made a complete mess of the holes, probably did it while intoxicated. Not only are they in the complete wrong position (too far in by almost 3 inches ) but they are both in different fore/aft positions! Which is even noticeable to the eye. As I never had a hood pinned Chal or Mopar I never even looked closely at their position and have had the hood nicely painted now. Never Assume! So now will have to take the hood to a body shop and get the holes welded up, bring it back home to line it up with the correct pin positions and take it back to get repainted.

Yes early on I did notice those holes in the fender structures but because they didn't line up with the holes in the hood, I didn't know what they were for. I bought the car from a guy interstate from just three photos and it never had the pins in the fenders installed (lucky for me), only those hood holes in the wrong position. I can only assume the previous owner in the USA got the Rallye hood cheap due to this reason. And so he never put the pins on.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I added the pins 40 years ago. I initially made sure the hood was in proper alignment, installed the pins first and used their position as an extra guide for drilling the hood. Always liked the look and the SAFETY of the hood not popping up at speed. Used to drive a little faster in those days!:steering:

/sixchall

Reaction score
/sixchall here again, yes a dollar for OEM parts is pretty cool. But, there were other things on a base 318 ‘70 Challenger in a guys backyard. A buck for the OEM hood pins was just one deal off that car. It was a green exterior green interior car, many moons ago. I had these installed in my flat hood until I scored the power bulge hood. Remember my car, like John Griffiths car is a Slant6 car from day one. Pic is hood of my Challenger.

A457B74D-7192-44FD-A2C7-3AD2FF872B1C.png

i_taz

Reaction score
Not to hi-jack but the turn indicators sure are as far in-board as possible.
Seems like there all over the place on either e-body

Last edited:

/sixchall

Reaction score
Not at all your observation and question is a valid one. Mine are not only inboard pretty far in, but they are the fender mounted turn signal with the securing screw through the top of cover. Others I’ve noticed for the ‘70 model cars are secured from underneath. Go figure no rhyme or reason.

Reaction score
Those chrome signal indicators are added on later and in the wrong place.

The factory ones were all painted body color in 1970 E-bodies.

Why does that car have 1973 bumper guards? Came from same car as the signals?

/sixchall

Reaction score
413, a lot of the trim and the fender mounted turn signals were already there when I bought the car, so I didn’t question anything about them. As for the non-factory vinyl side molding and the 73-74 Challenger large pad bumper guards (front and rear) I added these to protect the car from the daily bumps and bruises of LA driving. I just decided to leave everything as it was.

Jimmyspeed59

Reaction score
Those chrome signal indicators are added on later and in the wrong place.

The factory ones were all painted body color in 1970 E-bodies.

Why does that car have 1973 bumper guards? Came from same car as the signals?
My 70 challenger had chrome turn signal indicators on the fenders. It was an all original with 318. It came with some kind of chrome package because it also had the SE tail trim piece but wasn’t an SE car. I also had the original window sticker, build sheet that listed all the equipment. It came with standard flat hood so I did replace with an aftermarket bulge hood because I replaced the 318 with a 440 six pack. But the factory holes in the original fenders did line up with the round plates in the bulge hood. I just had to drill the holes.
5BE470DE-4711-4939-8E5F-D4D27FD3826F.jpeg

/sixchall

Reaction score
I have seen the smaller fender mounted turn signal indicators in paint as well as chrome. The smaller ones are fastened from underneath where the larger ones secure from above. Mine seem to be positioned as the ‘73-‘74 Challengers. Why this is I not sure of, I’m posting a pic (not my car) of the later positioning. Mine were like this when I bought it, so I gave it no notice until now.

A873D3A6-FCBA-4994-8634-14FC2BBABD8C.png

Back