• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

steering center link challenge '73 Challenger

Brads70

Reaction score
In Moparleo's picture, post #16 you will notice the idler and pitman arms are parallel. Are yours? I ask as the fast ratio arm I have has no master spline so you could get it a tooth out and cause the problem you have? Just a thought....

Buckminster

Reaction score
Who ever did the alignment should have spotted right off the bat that the short tie rod sleeve is incorrect.
The proper method of initially getting your readings requires that you do what is called a caster swing.
This is turning the wheels all the way to the left and then all the way to the right.
This would have instantly shown that the lock to lock was off on one side.
Factory sleeves should be approximately 8" long.

Get the car aligned and give the tech the new sleeve(s) to install at that time to properly do the toe adjustment.
Thank you!

Buckminster

Reaction score
To close out this thread the problem has been resolved. It appears that the pitman arm was off one tooth. When i moved the pitman arm, the tie rod sleeves became even, the steering angle is now the same side to side. Furthermore, with the increased positive caster, the car now drives almost perfect.

thanks all who helped provide informatoin to help me trouble shoot this installation!

Back