• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fast Ratio Steering Box (Code S74)

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Would anybody know where I can find a fast ratio steering box for my cuda? 71 340 cuda's were optioned for this S74 on build sheet. Can't seem to find one. TA's ans AAR's had them as well. Thanks in advance.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
I bought one from Tony's parts about a year ago. I think he had multiple ones at the time.

340challconvert

Reaction score
All 1971 340 e-body cars came standard with the S74 quick ratio steering box as of February 1, 1971.
Not really sure if was available as a separate option for 1971.
If your car was built after the above date, it should already have the fast ratio box installed unless it was changed out in the past. this was true for both 1971 Challengers and Cudas

Another thing to remember; most of the difference in quicker steering was due to the longer steering arm and special idler arm. The difference in the box itself was where the "stops' were set when going to extreme left and right turns. The stops were set shorter because the bigger 15 in tires would rub the fenders at extreme turns so the stops were set a little tighter to prevent this from happening.
The power steering pumps are different and cannot be interchanged because a higher pressure ps pump was installed (as per the bulletins)

Dino2 (1).gif

71-19-4_page1.jpg

71-19-4_page2.jpg

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Thank you paharamia, by build was April 1971, and my build sheet was coded for this option (s74) . Now I just have to find one. lol any Ideas? I do have my original ps pump tho!

340challconvert

Reaction score
gf7cuda, just curious, but what happened to the original steering chuck in your car? It would have been the fast ratio box.
Dino2 (1).gif

gf7cuda

Reaction score
was lost when car was restored at shop......

340challconvert

Reaction score
Dam, sorry that happened. Many times the shop doing the work has to be watched like a hawk. That is not an easy part to "accidentally" misplace or lose.

Are you looking for the correct part number and date code on a unit?
Another option would be to get a mopar steering chuck and have it rebuilt to TA specs or even better from a company like Firm Feel.
They have three levels that they offer in a rebuild and they get positive feedback on their work. I think they also offer chucks ready to install and might have what you need.
They could be worth a call.
Firm Feel Steering Box Rebuilds E-Body
Dino2 (1).gif

was lost when car was restored at shop......

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Good info, I will most likely go this route to get car going and just look for one, probably a part I could find at Carlisle. Thanks you for this info paharamia.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Firm Feel and Hotchkis have quick ratio pitman arm and idler arm combos supposed to be better with the matching longer idler arm (original T/A and AAR cars had a std idler arm) if you get these and a firm feel chuck it should be better then the original set up.

Last edited:

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Looks like firm feel is the way I will go if I don't find a T/A box by the time rest of car is finished. Thanks aussiemark!

Ramcharger

Reaction score
contact Steering Gear in Columbus ohio. They custom build anything you want. Not sure I got the name correct but online search will find them

gf7cuda

Reaction score
contact Steering Gear in Columbus ohio. They custom build anything you want. Not sure I got the name correct but online search will find them
Thank you Ramcharger for that info! appreciate it.

Back