• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71' Challenger resto-mod

71Challenger318

Reaction score
This thread will cover my restoration of my father's 71 Challenger. These first few posts are copied from another forum. I didn't want to re-type the whole thing! Excuse if some of the commentary is out of context.

The time has finally come for our 1971 Dodge Challenger to come out of storage and finally get restored. There has been some progress here in the past few weeks so I figured I would post up here so you guys could check it out!
This car as many of you know was my Father’s car when he went to JMU from 1974-1978. It has received its share of JMU parking tickets and I’m sure seen its share of drunk college girls. It languished in a barn on my uncles property from the middle 1980’s until sometime around 1998 when we removed it and its long winded restoration began. It is a 318 equipped with a 3-speed automatic transmission. It was originally Copper in color with a white interior but was painted green in 1975 by my Father and some of his friends.
The first try:
During the initial “restoration” most of the body rust was fixed. Many parts were ordered and put in storage. The engine was rebuilt and bored .030 over. It however was fitted with its stock 2 bbl carb and stock exhaust. It was also pained a horrible enamel yellow color (partially). Around 2001-2 it was put in storage had little has been done with it until about 3 weeks ago.
The engine sporting its tired chrome valve covers was timed and started.
DSC03618Large.jpg

The electronic ignition conversion from Mopar Performance was installed.
DSC03619Large.jpg

Then it was pulled over the body shop where they began work on fixing up some of the dents and dings from being in storage for 8 years. The decision was also made that yellow and white really just do not go together and we needed to go with another color. One of the body shop guys suggested 2010 “Plum Crazy” Purple. He shot a test panel. You should also note the 2005 Charger 18in wheel sporting one of Rex’s old 18in tires from the speed 3.
DSC03617Large.jpg

DSC03626Large.jpg

DSC03620Large.jpg

DSC03621Large.jpg

This car was a base model but it did have a few options. The 318 V8 was the basic V8 but the car was available with a 225 slant six engine. Also it was equipped with Rally seats and the smaller 14in Rally wheels.
DSC03705.jpg

DSC03623Large.jpg

The decision was made that the color would be changed (no decision on color yet, just that it will be done) so the engine, now running and driving, needed to be removed again for painting. This of course fell to me so this past Sunday I yanked the old beast from its lair. It took me two hours.
DSC03696Large.jpg

DSC03697Large.jpg

DSC03702Large.jpg

Horrible stock exhaust. I just got some full length headers for it and I am trying to select an exhaust.
DSC03699Large.jpg

Washed up the engine bay and pushed it back to the body shop.
DSC03706Large.jpg

DSC03707Large.jpg

Hopefully progress will be strong and stuff will get done relatively quickly. I will update as I can.

71Challenger318

Reaction score
Engine compartment and door jams sanded and prepped.
DSC03715Large.jpg

DSC03717Large.jpg

DSC03714Large.jpg

Adhesion promoter
DSC03718Large.jpg

Primer
DSC03719Large.jpg

BASECOAT!!!
DSC03720Large.jpg

DSC03721Large.jpg

Cleared underhood
DSC03722Large.jpg

Door jamb done
DSC03724Large.jpg

Interior blacked out
DSC03726Large.jpg

DSC03727Large.jpg

Steering box detail
DSC03723Large.jpg

DSC03728Large.jpg

DSC03729Large.jpg

Headers prepped.
DSC03731Large.jpg

DSC03730Large.jpg

I got these vintage Mr. Gasket headers from one of the guys here at work. They are from the late 70's and very heavy. Nice thick steel. Just needed a clean up and paint. They are done but I haven't snapped pics yet. The engine is getting tore down as far as it needs to be to get painted orange. Lots of underhood stuff is back in. These pics are a few days old. I will get more soon.

71Challenger318

Reaction score
340 4bbl intake, OEM valve covers, and headers all painted up.
DSC03733Large.jpg

DSC03732Large.jpg

DSC03734Large.jpg

More progress this past friday. Got a carb (1970 Carter Thermoquad). New stainless steel hardware for the engine. Got a new heater core and cleaned up the heater box. Doors are cut in and will go on monday. Oil pan is stripped and ready to paint. Engine should be painted up Monday. Here are pics!
DSC03749Large.jpg

DSC03748Large.jpg

DSC03751Large.jpg

DSC03750Large.jpg

DSC03745Large.jpg

DSC03741Large.jpg

I also dug out my 1971 tags!
DSC03747Large.jpg

Our Challenger's broadcast sheet. Discovered stuck in the coils under the rear seat.
ChallengerBroadcastSheet.jpg

I scanned these two photos as well. Polaroids taken during the first tear down.
Challengeroriginalrestopics.jpg

71Challenger318

Reaction score
Pics from this past week! Got the engine in on Friday.
DSC03756Large.jpg

DSC03759Large.jpg

The last time (hopefully) this will be empty until I have a big block to stick in.
DSC03760Large.jpg

YAY!
DSC03763Large.jpg

New brake MC and refinished lines.
DSC03768Large.jpg

Mopar Performance Underdrive Pulley Kit.
DSC03765Large.jpg

DSC03767Large.jpg

Coming along very well. So we met our engine back in by Memorial Day goal. Now lets wee if we can get the "car done by August" goal.

ramenth

Reaction score
Pics from this past week! Got the engine in on Friday.
DSC03756Large.jpg

DSC03759Large.jpg

The last time (hopefully) this will be empty until I have a big block to stick in.
DSC03760Large.jpg

YAY!
DSC03763Large.jpg

New brake MC and refinished lines.
DSC03768Large.jpg

Mopar Performance Underdrive Pulley Kit.
DSC03765Large.jpg

DSC03767Large.jpg

Coming along very well. So we met our engine back in by Memorial Day goal. Now lets wee if we can get the "car done by August" goal.

Setting a goal and managing to stick to it! Nice. My goal is for the world to leave me alone for a freakin' weekend so I can do what I've got to do!

71Challenger318

Reaction score
Thanks man. That's the idea! We hope to have it on the road again by August. Really going to be about money more then anything else if we meet or miss that. I've got some more pics I will post later today or tomorrow. Getting the headers in was a HUGE pain and I have a water leak up top and have to pull the intake again. Happens to the best of us.

71Challenger318

Reaction score
Oh man I have so much to post! I forgot about this forum for a bit but I am back and I wanted to let everyone check out the progress. Heck I don't even know where to start!

So as mentioned above the engine was running and it had a water leak at the intake manifold to head. Little did we know it was leaking as much in as it was out. I had to drain the milkshake oil and replace that after doing the new gasket. I got a genuine Mopar gasket this time, much nicer. Here is a shot of the leak location.
DSC03930Large.jpg

Electric Fan Install
I eliminated the mechanical non-clutched radiator ran in favor of the no-drag and modern look of an electric fan. This is a 16in fan I got of ebay for $40 shipped...beats the 12in fan I got for the Jeep at Autozone...$75!
DSC03928Large.jpg

Relay is close to the radiator
DSC03932Large.jpg

Custom Accel Super Stock wires
DSC03937Large.jpg

DSC03938Large.jpg

Looks sexy doesn't it? Now for the big mod....
Some quick research showed that many later model Chrysler RWD cars can be donors for front disc brakes. So, this led me to my buddy Phil's house, and to his 1976 Dodge Aspen wagon.
DSC03901Large.jpg

DSC03900Large.jpg

From that I got a decent set of 10.5in disc brakes. Single piston calipers. I ordered new calipers from Advance Auto and after 3 tries got the right ones.
Original drum came off.
DSC03922Large.jpg

DSC03921Large.jpg

Then I noticed the first problem... The black is the drum brake lower knuckle, the rusty is from the Aspen.
DSC03923Large.jpg

However, the bolt holes are the same, so I simply used the nut/bolt combo from the drum setup. The disc setup used a threaded lower knuckle.
DSC03924Large.jpg

Then came the second issue...the brake lines were far to long. We ended up having to order 3 different brake lines to find one that worked right. The source was a 1979 Dodge St. Regis sedan.
DSC03927Large.jpg

DSC03926Large.jpg

Two far off shots just cuz!
DSC03939Large.jpg

DSC03940Large.jpg

71Challenger318

Reaction score
So much more, just thought I would break up the posts because I am sure there is a number of pictures in a post limit.

Exhaust came in from Pypes. I like the kit, good quality and easy to put in. All stainless steel for under $400 shipped.
DSC03942Large.jpg

DSC03944Large.jpg

DSC03943Large.jpg

The problem however, it was supposed to be "header back" and work with "most any full length header." Apparently I don't have most any...I have "other." So I had to have it towed the quarter mile up the road to have the exhaust shop finish the install. I had it all in but not connected to the headers. I drove it back the following day...as it is. Anyway, pic of the engine with the orange air cleaner. The air cleaner was painted the wrong tint of orange, its hard to tell in the pic but obvious IRL.. I have removed the vac. valves from it (they are still on it in this pic) and we will be painting it wrinkle black.
DSC03949Large.jpg

Refinishing the trunk.
DSC03945Large.jpg

DSC03948Large.jpg

DSC03950Large.jpg

Stripped the trunk and a whole bunch of the original color showed its ugly ****-brown face.
DSC03947Large.jpg

Next came the overall paintjob on the body. This was a few months ago.
DSC04197Large.jpg

DSC04199Large.jpg

DSC04198Large.jpg

DSC04200Large.jpg

Now for the very most recent stuff. This has all happened in the past few days. Dash, rear deck and speakers, and glass all got dropped in!!

DSC04510Large.jpg

DSC04511Large.jpg

It took about 4 hours not counting drying time for the paint to get everything back together. The poorly fitting aftermarket dash pad was the biggest issue. It has a thick fiberglass core instead of the slim steel of the original resulting in a difficult fit. I had to redo all the silver details on the gauge rings and the HVAC controls with a paint pen. That took some time.
DSC04512Large.jpg

I also installed an modern CD player in the car. The all new for 2011 Pioneer 1300MP which is only $70! What a great deal for a great little unit. I needed something with NO bells and whistles because I can't afford any folding faces or anything as you notice the dash actually goes in front of the radio. A custom harness was made for said radio as well as a mounting panel in behind the dash trim.
DSC04513Large.jpg

Beyond that most of the wiring is back as it should be but I am getting funny feedbacks because the wiring has so many open grounds. For instance, when the key is off and the heater controls are off when you turn the headlamps on the radio comes on. If you turn the blower fan on the radio cuts out. Also, I wired up the cooling fan to what I thought was a switch power wire. Turns out it was the brake test wire. So when I push in the parking brake my cooling fan cuts out! lol.
Rear Infinity Kappa 6X9in speakers installed. Working on the fronts.
DSC04509Large.jpg

DSC04516Large.jpg

Exhaust tips
DSC04517Large.jpg

DSC04518Large.jpg

DSC04519Large.jpg

71Challenger318

Reaction score
Just time for a quick update! Lots of progress and the car is almost done for the Spring shows! Interior needs to be finished and final tune on the engine.

New Headliner installed.
DSC04555Large.jpg

Mostly done on the outside. Paint is buffed and grille and chrome is mostly on. New wheels as well.

DSC04698Large.jpg

DSC04701Large.jpg

DSC04697Large.jpg

2009 Challenger logo in the grille

DSC04699Large.jpg

Rear panel is done now, I need to get a current pic. Custom "cuda" cut outs and modern challenger style tips.

DSC04700Large.jpg

Let me know what you think!

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
Looking nice just wondering why you didnt paint the grille and tailight panel black like on a R/T? Looks great either way though!!7

71Challenger318

Reaction score
Looking nice just wondering why you didnt paint the grille and tailight panel black like on a R/T? Looks great either way though!!7

I have always liked the "Argent" color. I liked it so much I got wheels to match it! Anyway the car is all but done now. I am still waiting on B/E&A to get those correct bumper guards in for the rear.

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00008-1.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

Love the white interior, keeps it cool so the no A/C is not a huge deal.

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

I made a custom rear shelf panel with carpet to give it a more finished look.

DSC00009-2.jpg

A down low shot the looked cool.

DSC00014.jpg

I also recently installed some Just Suspensions 1in torsion bars to the front and I have Hellwig Motorsports sway bars coming this week. I picked up a used suregrip with 2.76 gears in it and I am looking for a set of 3.23 gears (big pinion) be fore I swap that in. Anyone have a R/T hood and some 3.23 gears laying around?

71Challenger318

Reaction score
I managed to score an R/T Hood at a a good price. Just waiting on getting some minor body work done and paint.

DSC00152.jpg

Sway bars came in! I got them on the car and it is night and day. The handling is SO much better. Totally worth the $350 they cost.

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

Another cool mod you folks might like. I got an electric trunk release and latch from a 1966 Imperial. Bolted right in and works like a charm! I have power door locks/keyless on my car so I just added it to the aux on the remote. I also installed a button under the dash.

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Back