• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A/C solenoid

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Those of you who installed an aftermarket A/C solenoid onto your carb; where did you get the power from? Did you splice into the compressor hot wire with a tap, or did you solder a wire into the comp hot wire? Wondering the best way to do this.

mopar jack

Reaction score
If your car came with an anti run on/diesel solenoid I would tap into that source. I recently installed a Vintage air system and with a 440 set to idle at 900 rpm haven't needed a solenoid.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
If your car came with an anti run on/diesel solenoid I would tap into that source. I recently installed a Vintage air system and with a 440 set to idle at 900 rpm haven't needed a solenoid.
The car did not come with that so looking for what others have done to get power. Also, I have the VA A/C setup too. The car came with dual electric fans and the VA setup. When the fans come on, the engine RPM's drop a little. When that happens and then the A/C comes on the engine struggles, especially when the auto trans is in gear. Up to now I have had the idle set higher to compensate some for that but don't think that is the solution. Hoping the solenoid can mitigate some of this.

Litchkar

Reaction score
I did this on my 371 Stroker with a Vintage air system. I tapped off the compressor power lead. Works great, but sometimes I have to bump the throttle to get it to engage. The solenoids are not strong enough to push the linkage to raise the rpm’s, they extend and lock open to prevent the linkage from fully closing when engine is above idle.

Back