• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger front bucket seat grain inserts

DY31970

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1970 Challenger with the regular vinyl covered bucket seats. The listings for new seat covers state that 1970 Challenger seats were available with Coachman or Regal inserts. How can I determine which one is correct for my car?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Not sure how the insert grain was demarcated at production.
I do know that the Regal grain is lighter, less pronounced and the Coachman grain is deeper, more course.
It is interesting that feedback I got on this was that the lighter Regal grain wears and starts to look more smooth as it is used.
Other research I found (not verified) is if you have the same material on the insert as the skirts it's Coachman, if it has inserts it's Regal; Coachman was used more? Another thought was that R/T cars got regal not Coach? No real accurate info on this out there!

Last edited:

Rapidfire

Reaction score
If your inserts match the bolsters then it's Coachman grain and if they don't it's Regal grain. If your seats are orginal of course.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 116

DY31970

Reaction score
Thanks 340 Challenger, Rapidfire, for the information. The picture you included Rapidfire helped a lot. I took a close look at my back seats and they look like your picture. So the inserts of my back seats are the Regal pattern.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I went back to check my seats; Regal grain inserts and Coachman bolsters for what is left of my original upholstery!
Thanks all.

1655067015124.jpeg

Back