• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Cuda decklid differences??

BluRaySRT

Reaction score
In the above picture I see where the luggage rack holes for the 4 mounting points are. Where are the two rear holes located? Are they two of the 3 holes labled labeled factory mounting holes?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
In the above picture I see where the luggage rack holes for the 4 mounting points are. Where are the two rear holes located? Are they two of the 3 holes labled labeled factory mounting holes?
I am not certain but it does appear that the two smaller holes (labeled factory holes on the Challenger decklid) are the correct luggage rack holes.
It should be obvious which holes line up when you lay the spoiler on the decklid.

70 4715

Reaction score
Ok, the trunk lid is one the questions I have yet to figure out on my car, and one of the reasons for joining this forum. My car came from the factory with a luggage rack, documented by the build sheet, and it was built Oct. 69 at the LA plant. It did not have a luggage rack when I bought it. At that time, I didn't care, I never planned on one. Well, fast forward to now, and I will go back with one. I actually got a decent, original luggage rack as of yesterday. I kind of like the looks of them now. Makes it "different."

After finding this thread and then going to look at mine, well, I don't know what I have?

View attachment 103440
That lid is a 1972-4 style. Your car is/was obviously missing the correct one. You will need to obtain a correct one for your car. Also, that lid was not "Drilled" for luggage rack. The underside of any 1970-74 lid always had the four holes cast into it from the factory, as the luggage rack was an option for all those years. Your original lid would have had the four stud holes for the rack installed at the factory on the lid, the top half, that is. You need to find one that has those on it.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
In the above picture I see where the luggage rack holes for the 4 mounting points are. Where are the two rear holes located? Are they two of the 3 holes labeled labeled factory mounting holes?
I marked up the locations under the decklid for the visible knockout holes. The green circled locations are not visible under the decklid (Rivnuts at these two locations).
There are four total Rivnuts and they are labeled Item #2 on the diagram.

70-71 Cuda Luggage Rack with Under Decklid Locations.jpg

70 4715

Reaction score
Three main Barracuda/Cuda styles. Your Version 2 decklid is correct for a 12/69 SPD.
The Version 2 decklid introduction date should coincide with the GoWing spoiler introduction which is believed to be Mid-November 1969. Version 2 may have ended in February 1970 just prior to the Version 3 AAR Ducktail spoiler introduction in March 1970.

View attachment 102927
Correction:
Version three was used only from March 1970 to July of 1970. After that version four, the one with different sized openings for the rear spoiler, on the back of the lid, was used. And it was used until the end of 1971 production. Then the standardized version five with no cutouts for the AAR spoiler, and only the drivers side cutout(1971 version cutout) on the back of the lid, was used. It was used until production ended in 1974.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Correction:
Version three was used only from March 1970 to July of 1970. After that version four, the one with different sized openings for the rear spoiler, on the back of the lid, was used. And it was used until the end of 1971 production. Then the standardized version five with no cutouts for the AAR spoiler, and only the drivers side cutout(1971 version cutout) on the back of the lid, was used. It was used until production ended in 1974.
Can you post pictures of the Version 4 and 5 decklids so we can consolidate them into the graphic?

70 4715

Reaction score
Can you post pictures of the Version 4 and 5 decklids so we can consolidate them into the graphic?
The picture that MoparCowboy posted is version five, the "generic" version used after 1971 production was over. It remained unchanged until the end of 1974 production and the end of the Barracuda. I will post a picture of the 1971 model year lid tonight, but it is the one you show two halves of in your luggage rack mounting diagram. Smaller areas for mounting the spoiler, each with a hole on each side of them.

70 4715

Reaction score
The picture that MoparCowboy posted is version five, the "generic" version used after 1971 production was over. It remained unchanged until the end of 1974 production and the end of the Barracuda. I will post a picture of the 1971 model year lid tonight, but it is the one you show two halves of in your luggage rack mounting diagram. Smaller areas for mounting the spoiler, each with a hole on each side of them.

IMG_5130.jpeg

Back