• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 CHALLENGER "DEPUTY" SEAT FRAMES ARE THEY PLYMOUTH?

Nick McGee

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got a 1971 Challenger 'Deputy' with the factory Barracuda interior... My question: I'm putting a 1972 Challenger interior in it now (with the 72 thicker style seat foams etc) BUT it appears the seat foam for a 1972 sits differently on the springs than a 1971?

Are my front seat frames Plymouth? - were Challenger seat frames completely different to Barracuda? Does 1972 Challenger front seat trim fit a "DEPUTY" seat frame? Confused? Help? Thanks.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Post some pictures of what you have. The Deputy did use Barracuda seats. Technically 71 is was not even a Deputy. It was just a cheap Challenger.

Nick McGee

Reaction score
Hi, its a 71, and the data plate under the hood confirms its a Deputy package, fixed rear quarter windows, barracuda interior etc... I'll try my question again: The 72 seat foam is much much thicker and it has a cutaway section high in the back on the spring side (the 70-71 seat foam is flat at the back)... Is the seat spring/frame design exactly the same on an early Challengers as those later - 72 onwards?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
As I said post pics. We don't know what seat you have without seeing it. I'm not saying you are wrong. It will help to answer your question. There is a change in design. When it changed is in question by some people. It was sometime in 72 and for sure in 73. If you have the 73 style seat it is different. The foam was made on the seat frame instead of separate as found in the earlier seat design.

Avalanche

Reaction score
As was said,
70-71 seat foams were replaceable and 72 and up were molded into the seats and can be patched.
Do your seats have a hard backer(70-71) or soft(72 up)?
Also 72 may have one or the other

aussiemark

Reaction score
Are you asking about the front seats or the rear seat? Dynacorn make new seat frames and springs for the front and they are listed to suit 70-74. I know the foam is different because I have a pair of buckets from a 71 Cuda that I want to fit 70 covers and install in a 70 car, the foam and covers are perfect but because it is different I have to fit new foam as well.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I'm guessing he is trying to put 72 upholstery on the original 71 seat frames.

Back