• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1974 Barracuda adding power brakes

dschem

Reaction score
Hello,

I just picked up a 74 barracuda with manual brakes, it has front discs. I wanted to know if it was as simple as changing my master cylinder with a new set up containing the power brake booster. I see that you can buy the entire unit with the master cylinder attached to the power brake booster. Would it use the same proportioning valve and the same pedal?

Just thinking if it would be that easy.

Thanks
Dave

bc3j

Reaction score
It it could be. Some aftermarket booster/master cylinder units are for converting non-power cars and bolt to the manual firewall plate and connect directly to the pedal. OEM booster would require a different firewall plate and the linkage by the pedal for power brakes. You would have to make sure your car has enough vacuum for the booster, or use like a lot guys, a hydroboost unit off the power steering.

I use manual brakes and like the feel. It's all what you like. I sure some other guys can help with the proportioning valve. My car was a manual drum to disc car and I proportion my brakes by using a smaller rear wheel cylinder and don't use a separate valve. As far as I know, all auto pedals are the same. OEM power brake used that linkage between the booster and the pedal.

dschem

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for the info. There is a power brake plate and linkage on ebay right now so watching them. Another guy said that the pedal linkage is the same?

Thanks

Dave

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You need this bellcrank linkage between your pedal and the power booster.
downloadfile-2.jpg

dschem

Reaction score
Hello,

Is the firewall black plate also different?

Also would I need a different pedal?

Thanks

Dave

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The plate is different for the booster. The holes are in different shapes and location for the linkage. Pedal is the same.

Back